HUFFY SUPER STOCK BUILD OFF 2016

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if you just put some build primer on before you bondo? Then just don't sand all the way down? Need to get that etch primer on the metal. Maybe cover the bondo, etch primer then build primer and bondo?...but that's only a guess. Hoping to learn something here too.

Old Scool that's a great looking parts pile! Love that sprocket.

I wonder if you just put some build primer on before you bondo? Then just don't sand all the way down? Need to get that etch primer on the metal. Maybe cover the bondo, etch primer then build primer and bondo?...but that's only a guess. Hoping to learn something here too.

Old Scool that's a great looking parts pile! Love that sprocket.
Valid point, I'm curious myself how that works.

I sanded the frame, wiped it down with Acetone, sprayed a coat of etch on it, put on the bondo where needed, sanded that down smooth, correcting where needed, then sprayed a couple of coats of etch over that. At this point, the only thing I could do would be to sand the etch off the bondo and spray build on instead of etch, then continue with a few more coats of build. I hope that is enough, but I'd like to hear from Sensor first, as I've never done a frame where I've had to use so much bondo to fill in pits.

Now I'm worried.

The only thing I can imagine is the etching primer chemicals eat away at the Bondo, maybe that's what sensor was talking about.
But with it being so thin, maybe the build primer and paint will hold it together?

I'm sure you'll figure something out, but good luck.

I did a quick search and it looks like the big issue is putting filler over etch primer. Most say to put the filler over epoxy primer or bare metal.

One guy said you can tell if the filler will come out when you sand it. Lots of info and opinions out there. I'd go with whatever it says on your primer and filler.

Looks like it's something that gets debated. I'd proceed as normal and maybe do some research so you can decide on a method. I couldn't find anything about an actual failure from it and there were some guys saying they put etch under primer. +you're just using little dibby dabs.

Another interesting factoid said don't put hot mud on cold steel to prevent rust from forming under the filler. Lots to know about this stuff.

Thanks to CRASH and Bruce Crawford for working up and making a Huffy decal for the longer Super Stock headbadge. The first pic is my Super Stock headbadge next to a standard Huffy decal. I tried several attempts to fix mine because almost all the color had faded off, I stripped it, detail measured it, taped it, then repainted it like four times but wasn't happy with it each time till Bruce made up the decal. The last picture shows it applied to the headbadge and it fits perfect.

That's exactly what I'm going to do with mine. I actually sent Bruce a worn out head badge so he'd be able to replicate the dimensions exactly.

Update on mine... I finally found some time to work on the frame again. I didn't strip the etch primer completely off every spot of bondo that I had put on, but I did do it off some of the majors. It wasn't coming off well, and I was worried that I'd have to reapply the bondo and start over, and I'm already way behind my schedule. So... I did it light, then really laid on the Build primer. It's drying for a day or two, then I'm going to smooth out that top coat and move forward.

I've heard Bruce does good work, and I've seen his stuff on the bay. I'll most likely have him do the decals for my dragstripper when I build it.

I hope that works out for you.
I put myself on a deadline for build off 11, I'm running behind. So I wish you luck.

Latest posts

Back