huffy stalker needs a makeover

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
this is my daily rider?beater bike i use when i haul packages or parts
its a bone stock huffy stalker 12 speed
pretty old school survivor but itneeds a makeover
the tires are junk front is dryrotted rear has paint on it
however its been pretty reliable never broke down on me
my question is how can i make it cool if possible
i was thinking of puttinfg wheel discs on it and making it like a sal flat type racer
but i dont wanna ruin its reliability
im still thinking of ideas
i will post any i come up with
thanks for looking
sean
u believe this is maybe early 90's but not sure i know its on the older list back before bikes became what they are now
simple 12 speed sidepull brakes an ugly as sin lol
thanks for looking
sean

forgot to post a pic here the mad bomber
0127131232_01_zps681e8f70.jpg

Wheel discs look really cool, but if you're riding any real distance in the wind you'll change your mind in a hurry. You could change up the look by making a tankplate for it like I did on my Huffy. A color change, some whitewalls and you'd have a whole different bike. Maybe lower the front basket and add some support bars from the basket to the front axle like a Worksman bike.

ratright.jpg

hey bmxerpete
that bikes cool looking
that an old thunder road?
i like the way you did this one up with the springer
definitely an outside the box build
im thinking of doing a salt flat racer styled bike with this one
i may go with the mags cuz yeah good point diss will catch a lot of wind i remember when i had y huffy sigma that thing was a nightmare in wind lol
thanks for posting and that bike looks sweet
Sean

oh yeah btw i lke the worksman bike idea i think im gonna do that
i have another basket that's trashed but has the arms i could use
i like that idea thanks bmxerpete
Sean

hey +1 on more utility. Love cycletrucks so maybe u could do some signage in the frame. Also I've been kicking around the idea of skateboard/skis/snowboard cut down and used cargo racks on bikes. I bought a set of wood crutches($3.50) at the thrift store. They have an interesting curve built in and they are laminated so the side profile shows three shades of wood which looks cool. I'm gonna use them to support the cargo racks so my bike will be like a mixed media art project. One pair of crutches will make two racks (front and back) Ok thats my thoughts cheers froggy

yeah im liking the cargo bike idea
the crutches are a god idea a lot of people have them just lying around
i looove me some cycle trucks i wanna build one but the ones i do find when i do find the are usually way expensive
there was one on here in the for sale section that was decent i just didn't have the ponies to get it
that's actually not too bad an idea to make it like a cycle-truck
maybe a cycle truck/salt flat racer kinda hybrid lol
thanks for posting and that's not a bad idea at all
Sean

I like that ur putting energy and time into a bike that other people would have overlooked to make it into something special and truely yours. The crutches also come in aluminum so u could go that route if u like that look better.Cheers Tim

true that that's how i got this one it was dumped in my salvage pile ans left to be destroyed
its a pretty reliable bike so i kept it
but yeah i wanna make it my own
the aluminum crutches might work as well
thanks for posting
sean

ok so i finished the makeover of this bike
the results are awesome! a really comfy touring bicycle
wheels from my wife's amf super 10 the originals i saved
fenders from coast king as well as wald moustache bars and stem
pedal are from a bike i scrapped awhile ago
all innards are original as well as brake and gear components

i fashioned a front fender mount from a old wheel bolt washer lock thingy *(whatever their called )
next up im gonna look for a genny light that mounts on the rear fender and a headlight and a spring seat
but as she sits now im pretty satisfied
enjoy
Sean

took this bike on a 3 mile ride no issues and it is easier to climb hills with some other changes im considering are a 3 sprocket front setup and mirrors as well as a rear basket so i can continue to be my parts hauler.
i love the style of this and since i cannot touch the Schwinn suburbans this is a close second to them
i might see if i can run 27 inch wheels and make a few more changes to it but this is the style its gonna be maybe some black fuzzy dice hanging on the bars
i also may add apes to it but undecided as i will need longer cables
more pics/updates soon
Sean

Latest posts

Back