Huffy rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Does anyone have experience utilizing Walmart like Huffy rims/ wheels on their builds. I see a lot of cool colors but wonder about the general performance and durability.

Any advice welcome.

Newbie builder.

Thanks

I use the older ones.Most of the cheap rims used on the China made crap like NEXT La jollas etc are always warped.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

I've checked a few out on 20" donor bikes, very light-not in a good way, usually painted steel, rim edge is rolled not formed.
The sidewalls aren't straight, cross section grows and shrinks.

Theyre marginal for 60lb kids, I don't know if you could keep them straight with an adult riding.

24 and 26, you'll probably get at least an aluminum rim rated for adult weight.

What size are you looking at?

I am looking at 26 inch for adults. The general consensus is no go. I figured as much I just see a lot of builds with these great wheel colors. I guess I am seeing some nice paint jobs.

Thank for the imput.

26" there plenty of used cheap mountain bikes that are better quality as wheel donors.

I picked up 2 schwinn mountain bikes for $10 each this summer, derailleurs were out of tune on both and the guy bought new bikes. The rims were nice, the rest of the components were pretty junky. Fixed and Sold 1 for $60, other is sitting there to sell this spring.

Will this be single gear or multi?

What are you building?

I got a deal (so I believe) on a Huffy Deluxe Classic cruiser, with a cracked frame at both of the seat stays, (due to motorization). I used the stem, handle bar, and wheels on a 1999 GT Dyno Kustom Kruiser project (frame only); other parts for future projects.
The 26" wheels had 40mm wide rims, powder coated in a coffee (w/ cream) brown/tan and came with 2.35 cream tires. The 2.35 inchers make alignment more critical and I need to notch the OEM chain guard to fit. The colored rims complicate things as more than two or three colors on a bike affect its visual appearance.

I use the cheap 26" coaster wheelsets from big box store bikes all the time, haven't had any issues with them yet. I'm sure it'd be different if I was riding offroad trails or hitting ramps but I just use them for cruising and they hold together alright

Latest posts

Back