Huffy Panama Jack Springer Fork???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Im a newer member and usually a hotrod builder but i really want to get into building bikes. First off I have a Huffy Panama Jack bicycle that my wife got me last year and I want to do my own rat kinda thing to it. I would really love to put a springer front end on it but im having trouble finding info on what may fit and ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :mrgreen:

All you need to know is head tube length & head tube diameter. Diameter is usually 1 inch or 1 1/8 inch. Length is usually 6.5 to 7.5 inches. Shouldn't be a problem finding a springer that will fit. Welcome to the site by the way! 8)

Thanks for the advice. As far as I've been able to find, it seems like most huffys are the 1 inch id but I need to measure the tube length. I found one on ebay for like $40. I used to live in southern cali where I could walk in to any lbs and find this stuff... Not so much in beaufort sc. Oh the needs of the navy. :|

I wish I could say that I had actually done it, but I have not. That said, I think you will find this pretty easy, the forks, if new and 'uncut' will have a long enough steer stem for your headtube. You should be able to use the whole bearing set up, but prying the bottom race off your original fork may, or may not be a snap. The steerstems are a pretty close nominal 1" and you need to have a close fit of the lower race on the stem, the top one, if on the threaded adjuster, will self center and your bearings will carry the load of the set up. Even so, you may want to order the bearingset (cheap, under $10) from whomever you order the fork from.
BTW, Ive been told that Huffys are pretty much interchangable parts bike to bike, not so with Schwinns even, and old bikes have their own issues. For cheap, fun ,messing about with bikes and learning some stuff I think the Huffys are a decent package (I have recently picked up a NIB Cranbrook). The curvy frame would look good with the springer, as you intend, and most likely ride better on the rough over that heavy duty stock fork, which cant flex much, if at all. For just looks, though, a truss rod addition to the stocker would make it more 'traditional'.

I like the idea of adding truss bars. I tried looking for some but they are all looking to be straight and didn't seem to have the bracket. I'll keep on searching or just make my own. :lol:

Welcome to the forum from across the river in Savannah.

When you are finished, bring your bike over and I will go for a ride with you on Fugsley.

There is a thread from a few months ago, something like 'what are you guys using for truss rods' that will give you some ideas. The top bracket comes in several original configurations, and they turn up on E-bay, etc., or you can make your own. IIRC the 5/16 cold rolled makes a good rod and a nice little washer welded and faired into the lower truss leg will screw on your fender mounts, Since that fork wont likely flex, it wouldnt have to be 5/16, 1/4 might do and it doesnt have to mount at the axle.

Latest posts

Back