Hub Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Is this hub cracked? The reason I ask is because some guy on cl is freaking out and saying that im selling a cracked hub. I really don't think it's cracked at all and he might be on it.
DSC03287.jpg

DSC03285.jpg

Sure does look like its cracked at the flange.

I've thrown away better looking high flange hubs than that.

does not matter if it is or not, the customer is always right --- even when they are wrong.
take the high road and refund money and get the hub back.
Your reputation is worth way more than the cost of a used hub.
In the long run, you will be glad that you did.

That customer will go away, your reputation will never go away.

To answer your question, it's hard to tell, I personally would use the hub and not worry about it. If the cracks were to fail, you have plenty of other spokes to carry you. I seriously doubt that hub would dump you on the ground! just my .02.

The line on the far flange is a parting line from the die casting process. This is where the two halves of the mold close together. Generally this is cleaned off with a variety of processes.

jerrykr said:
does not matter if it is or not, the customer is always right --- even when they are wrong.
take the high road and refund money and get the hub back.
Your reputation is worth way more than the cost of a used hub.
In the long run, you will be glad that you did.

That customer will go away, your reputation will never go away.

To answer your question, it's hard to tell, I personally would use the hub and not worry about it. If the cracks were to fail, you have plenty of other spokes to carry you. I seriously doubt that hub would dump you on the ground! just my .02.
i havent sold the hub it's just some guy on cl emailing me that i'm trying to sell a cracked hub.

I was thinking part line too, but the line on the closest side looks more like a crack to me.
If it's a part line, it will buff off if you want to go that far to clean it up.

Latest posts

Back