How to protect your steel from rust during a project?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i saw a post about this , but can't find it after 2h search..

do you guys have a trick for preventing rust on your projects ?

my 2 scratch build and all other bikes i stripped to bare metal started rusting before it was time to paint..
i usually sand or scotchbrite all over the frame before paint anyways, but there must be a trick for long project to not be affected deeper by rust..

oil ?
some sort of liquid wax ?
or do you just prime as you go?
ideally something that dont affect welding or painting down the road

Thanks

In the machine shop we used a coolant that was oil based so when we were done with parts we dipped them in the coolant in a large wire basket and let it drain. the oil residue kept them rust free till the next operation. Other shops had light preservative oil in spray cans you applied to finished surfaces - I think that stuff was OK to weld on as it just burned off. When I'm working on stuff on the farm I usually just spray bomb primer as I go along...

Can't think of the name, but there's a aerosol can you can buy. Just spray a light coat and it prevents rust up to 2 weeks or so. Just Bing/Google rust preventative.

Could try WD40, but might need to clean it off before welding.

I usually just spend an hour or two cleaning up surface rust before paint, but if there is a solution, I probably should look in to it!
Some complicated frames take a lot of work to clean the rust off!

Luke.

whenever i have something sand/media blasted or stripped i clean and coat it w/ a spray can of self etch primer right away. i used to buy the $20 a can 3M stuff but now i just use the $5 a can duplicolor stuff. its a light green. it works fine as long as you wipe down the bare metal w/ a good wax & grease remover 1st.
dont primer it w/ the cheapo 99 cent grey primer. it will start to rust after awhile.

i've done it to bicycle frames that i may not paint for a month or 2 and i've done it to motorcycle frames that i may not paint for a year or 2.
if you have to go back and weld to a spot its easy to remove a spot of that primer w/ a wire wheel or super fine flap wheel and than just spray some more on that fresh metal.

like others have said you could hose the bare frame down w/ WD40 or some other type, but rust will come thru sooner or later, and when it does come time to paint you have to re blast it or really clean the heck out of the metal or you'll get poor paint adhesion or fish eyes.

Last edited:
You're just making more work for yourself if you use any type of oil based protector. ie, WD40. You will need to completely remove all of it before painting which can be difficult in tight places unless you have access to a sandblaster. Just prime it. You're going to eventually prime it anyway if you are planning on painting it. I've been doing it like this for many years and it saves so much time and headaches.

Don't use any oil, you'll spend a long time cleaning or it will come back to haunt you.

I do like the duplicolor etch green that @beatcad mentioned, if you plan on using spray can for topcoat.

Strip and prime as soon as you can, clean and scotchbrite when you're ready to paint. rubbing alcohol is a good cheap wipedown. solvent based may melt rattle can paints.

If you plan on using paint other than spray can you can get automotive paint compatible primers in a can. I like UPOL products.

Check out duplicolor engine enamel for topcoat, if you find a color you like, it's some of the best spray can paint I've found.

There are weldable primers in a spray can or try a light coat of drying oil like boiled linseed or Penetrol. You can paint over or weld through both. The drying oil will protect bare steel for years as long as you wipe it down and reapply a thin coat every few years. I have a bare frame that I made into a klunker and rode for a year. It's wet here. The only protection is a coat of Penetrol. I stripped the klunker of parts and now the bare metal frame is hanging in an unheated shed for another year and has not yet started to rust.

Latest posts

Back