How to preserve that slightly rusted weathered look?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Western Flyer Hi-Lo with that just-right slightly rusted look and I don't want to sand/repaint and loose the original decals and what is left of the original paint. Is there a good way to prevent further rusting and to preserve it's current weathered look? I buffed it with some WD40 on a rag but I'm worried this will eventually harm the paint? Any info is appreciated!

clear coat may darken it a bit, but it should still look really good. anyplace where you put wd40 on it, you should prolly hit with carb cleaner or something to make sure the clear will stick.

From my experience with a lot of rusty stuff, just keeping it out of the elements will keep it from changing almost indefinitely. I have had rusty objects in my garage that haven't changed appreciably in 20 years. No climate control to speak of, just out of the wind, sun and rain. Taking a bike out occasionally shouldn't change it much, unless you're riding it near salt water or in a lot of mud.

^^^ Columbia looks beautiful....the satin poly gives it a deep, rich, fine furniture type of appearance. 8)

I've been using Boiled Linseed Oil, which can be purchased for about $10 at Home Depot. Here is a picture of a bike where the frame, fork and rear rack received one coat.

e3uza4u8.jpg

Thanks, John

Ill have to try that boil lineseed on one of my bikes 8)

Latest posts

Back