How to install front fender

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings I am tom of harborbikes searching how to install a front fender onto the vintage 26" Derby Fork tube that is blank; with nothing other than the gooseneck installed. A small threaded hole is needed to support the fender to fork.

One question is what is put into the fork tube to twist a screw in to hold the fender up off the wheel?

I usually take a tube that changes the diameter from 1' to 7/8' (if you have some old rusty handlebar lying around - that is it, cut it directly in the middle, where it has 25,4mm and then cut it where it becomes 22mm), drill the hole for the bolt in it few mm higher then the wide end is, and then i carefully hammer it into the bottom of the steering tube. Usually they got stuck so well it is hard to remove them afterwards, so should be strong enough to hold the fender.

Forgot to mention, it worked for my 1-1/8 forks, 1' forks probably have different inner diameter and you would need to come up with another source for a tube like that.

76d436aece1873011a846d87e0b41252.jpg

Would one of these work, if it had a hole drilled in the center of it?

008236716603.jpg
If that isn't strong enough, one could always find a 1" star-fangled-nut and drive that in from the bottom of the steerer tube.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back