How to build a low-buck Fixie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FunkyStickman said:
I just stumbled upon this today... I was searching for parts to build my own fixie, and I found ISO disk brake mounted cogs:
dscn4368thumb.jpg

They're made by VeloSolo.co.uk and cost about $30 shipped to the U.S.

If you were really desperate, and had some 5mm carbide drill bits, you could drill out plain cogs and do the same thing with them. This is ideal if you have any MTB disk front hubs laying around, or you can even pick up a dual-disk hub from Choppersus.com and make your own fixed/fixed flip-flop hub.

02922.JPG

they're also available here..usa made tomicogs...16,17, 19 and 20 tooth

http://tomicog.blogspot.com/

any reason I can't use a mt bike disc front wheel on the rear of a cruiser frame with a tomicog.??

The three leading, three trailing pattern is very easy to do, uses the same length spokes as the normal three cross pattern used on 99.9% of bikes. I have a step-by-step tutorial on how to do it in PDF format if you are interested. PM my your email and I'll send it to you. The tutorial shows how to do it with 72 spokes but I used 36 to save weight.

I'm sure a lot of you guys are aware of this, but you NEED toe straps or clipless pedals to skid stop a fixed gear. Front foot pulls up and back foot pushes down. Just mentioned it cuz I've seen a lot of pics without toe straps. Oh yeh and you need to wear super tight jeans and a scarf even if it's not cold.

Swinging a large mallet on your fixed gear has proven popular in these parts!
nyc_photo_blog_nat_ma-4-18.jpg

My only explanation is

nyrelease.jpg

You're welcome, happy to share. Now I expect to see some wheel pics posted soon as you don't need to calculate spoke lengths or even buy new spokes. :lol:

polishedwheel.jpg

i single speeded my super le tour, actually 3 speeds when you get off and readjust the quick release wheel , didnt cost a dime and i saved all the parts to put it back to original..

I'm a bmxer to the core and have been wanting to build something new. I've been thinking about getting a road bike so I decided to go with a fixie (well sorta). I'm not sure I want to go full time fixie so to start I'm just going with a single speed freewheel. The frame is a donor that I pulled out of the mud from behind a guys garage. Wanting to do this on a budget and having a garage full of bmx parts we'll see what comes out. I think the only thing I'm lacking is rims.
Project1speed001.jpg

Project1speed006.jpg

Project1speed008.jpg

perfect start! some garbage scrounging or garage sale searching, an get some 27 x 1 1/4 wheels. toss on some good lookin parts and you can have yourself a bike like this:
SANY0096.jpg

or like this:
DSCN6418.jpg

thanks stretch I saw that thread, both are cool looking bikes. I will post pics as the build continues.

...so its been awhile since I've messed with any of my bikes. I was cleaning the garage but it was way too nice a day for that and wanted to go for a ride. I decided to drag Project 1speed out of the corner. I robbed the wheels off my stock Varsity (I told myself I wouldn't do this but...) and headed for the parts pile. As you can see it has a heavy BMX influence which was my plan all along. I'm digging the look and it rides surprisingly well for just throwing it together.
project1speed15.jpg

I just finished up an 89 Schwinn fixie that I built for my son. Here are a few pictures of the finished bike.
_bike%20136%20%28Large%29.jpg

_bike%20143%20%28Large%29.jpg

_bike%20036%20%28Large%29.jpg

_bike%20125e%20%28Large%29.jpg

Being stripped...
fixie%203.JPG

Primer coat...
black%20bike%20restore%20002.JPG

Most of the bike is original. Bike was a mess (sorry I didn't get before pictures :( . I stripped and repainted. The wheels and pedals and seat are new. But I still have the original 27" wheels that are in good condition (rear now single speed freewheel). I can't wait to start on one for me! :roll:

Latest posts

Back