How should I gear my fat walgoose

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=424538071015005&l=24eedcac9e My current and only ride ATM is my brutus weighing in at a solid 60lbs and I weigh 155 without my boots, I replaced my forks with project 346 Xtra wide and front hub with disc brake option also project 346. I ride a rear hub freewheel from the stingray in 16 tooth on a devistator, but will be changing to a set of boa-g's that I plan to buy right here on rat rod bike store. Soo, here's my problem, I want to run a single gear freewheel setup as I'm not a derailer fan, still have the stock cog in front and it's ok for now, but what is a good front to change to, I'm in decent shape and want to ride at my normal speed. Between 20-35 mph I think the 16 rear is ok but how big can I go in front, just a wild idea but is there a single front gear as big as my crank arm... What do you think is reasonable, 44 tooth front? More? Less? Any one know what is on the dolomite as in largest front and smallest rear? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Ok, we'll the standard big ring on a MTB is 42t. It would be a super easy swap to put a MTB crankset on there. You would loose at least a pound too if you find a halfway decent MTB crankset.

42 would be a big increase in speed. You could maybe fit a road bike crank. Then you have gear choices up to about 60 teeth, but those may hit the frame.

That being said, 30 mph on flat ground is insanely fast for a fatbike. If your in that good of shape then go for it, but it's gonna be a tough bike to get started from a stop.

Got to go for a decent ride yesterday after a few mods, with the stock front gear and a 16 tooth rear stingray hub I got it to a steady 20 mph, didn't last as long as I had hoped but the guy on a road bike noticed me keeping up with him and changed gears and burned off, can't wait to get some boa g tires, I know I will go faster with those

Latest posts

Back