How do I clean brand new Brooks saddle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my daughter decided to spray bug spray right next to my bike she got it all over my brooks saddle which left kinda white discolored spots on the leather I tried to use the proof hide I thought it worked but the marks came back shortly after any ideas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I learned from an avid horse rider to clean with clear ammonia. Then re-dye with leather dye. I had good results with Tandy Leather Eco-Flo all in one stain & finish. Waited a few days and put on a protective top coat of Tandy Eco-Flo Super Shene Leather Finish. For the leather itself, I apply Obenauf's Leather Oil to the underside.

Unfortunately the bug spray may have penetrated the leather. Not sure what you can use to remove the spots. I'm thinking If you had used proofide prior to the bug spray, it would have provided a coating and may not penetrated, but I'm sure this is not what you want to hear. Let us know if you find a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately the bug spray may have penetrated the leather. Not sure what you can use to remove the spots. I'm thinking If you had used proofide prior to the bug spray, it would have provided a coating and may not penetrated, but I'm sure this is not what you want to hear. Let us know if you find a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah it said not to use proof hide for six months I see what your saying it probably would have wiped off if I had

I'm not so sure that the proofide would've repelled the bug spray; proofide is basically made of allow, cod oil, vegetable oil, paraffin wax, beeswax, and citronella oil. It helps keep your Brooks from drying out, but it doesn't weatherproof it or seal it, despite what the name "proofide" may suggest. However, per Brooks's website, Proofide is to be "be used several times during the ‘breaking-in’ period and every 3-6 months thereafter." Just food for thought.

I'm not so sure that the proofide would've repelled the bug spray; proofide is basically made of allow, cod oil, vegetable oil, paraffin wax, beeswax, and citronella oil. It helps keep your Brooks from drying out, but it doesn't weatherproof it or seal it, despite what the name "proofide" may suggest. However, per Brooks's website, Proofide is to be "be used several times during the ‘breaking-in’ period and every 3-6 months thereafter." Just food for thought.
Thanks for the info I have a cousin she's married to a guy that I guess you would call him a leather worker he owns a business and that's all they do he makes belts and all different stuff I talked to her today she said they might be able to fix it with some dye

Oh I looked on line too I'm not the only one that has had bug spray ruin a leather object and I guess what it does is it actually eats the top surface it's not a stain more like a acid burn

I would try a little spot treatment with Lexol cleaner followed by a dot of Lexol conditioner. I would hold off on the Proofhide for a few months because that's more of an overall treatment for the entire saddle. You can get away with doing spot cleaning and treatment via the Lexol cleaner and conditioner.

I would try a little spot treatment with Lexol cleaner followed by a dot of Lexol conditioner. I would hold off on the Proofhide for a few months because that's more of an overall treatment for the entire saddle. You can get away with doing spot cleaning and treatment via the Lexol cleaner and conditioner.
Thanks mike I'll check it out and see what it does

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just thought i'd chime in with a reminder that Brooks suggests an initial light application of Proofide for the initial break-in period, and then quarterly light applications throughout the year. If you follow those directions, you won't ever need to perform an "overhaul treatment", provided you can keep the saddle away from pesticides. :21: Leather dries out; Proofide and the very similar Obenauf's prevent the drying out, without adverse effects if you use as directed...

If it still isn't what you want after everything you try, sell it here sand get another one. I'm pretty sure a few spots won't be a problem for a lot of members here wanting a Brooks saddle.

Latest posts

Back