Hot Rod Higgins - DONE. In the finished forum

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This will be my first entry in the Build Off.

Here is an old shot of the bike I am using. I actually sold this bike twice and have the frame, chainguard and rear fender back in my grubby hands for the build off.

higgins1.jpg

Re: Hot Rod Higgins

Like the name! :mrgreen: I'm building a Hot Rod Deluxe :p

Thanks guys....the name sort of came from the Hot Rod Lincoln song. I've always been into old cars, drag racing, etc. So far, I have a starting bike, some parts and a couple of ideas. I don't think it will be anything too radical or unique. I just plan to build something that I really like and if others like it too, then that is icing on the cake.

As far as parts, I have been buying/trading for bits and pieces with this bike in mind for over a year now. I'll probably be one of the slowest builds in the competition though. I'll change my mind 100 times before it is complete.

Alright....so I started digging out some parts. I've been picking up HIggins parts whenever I see something cool at all the meets. Not sure everything in the pic will end up on the bike, but I like what I've found so far.

parts.jpg

Re: Hot Rod Higgins w/parts pic

Well that's all looking good so far... Very Nice...
Good to see you doing a build... Good Luck and Have Fun

I like what I see. I am looking forward to this build.

Thanks guys...I also have a 3 speed hub and some other pieces. I think the hub will be the last thing. If I have time, I'll lace it up and use it....if time is an issue, then I'll go single.

I bought a couple cans of flat black paint and I got the frame stripped down. Only problem is I'll be out of town for a week and won't have time to work on it.

Still not sure about the X53 fork. Thinking maybe a Girvin or something along those lines. Only problem is I am trying to not spend a ton of money on it. I want to keep it in the "rat spirit". It would be too easy to start shelling out dough and going overboard.

Houndog said:
Looking forward to this one for some reason..

Thanks man....I am making no predictions on how it will do in the contest, but I promise it is going to be a bike that I am totally happy with! I think its gonna be good...maybe not cutting edge, but it will be a solid looking ride.

Great bike to start with and your pile of parts is awesome! Looking forward to seeing how it comes together

Thanks....the cool thing is that besides the tank, the rest of the parts were all gathered locally from RRB members or Craigslist here in Ohio. I bought the Higgins frame, fender and chainguard up in Findlay. The X53 came from Oz1972, the skirts came from npence, the seat came off a '36 CWC frame that I found on Craigslist.

I just picked up a killer black/chrome sprocket and I am looking for a really nice vintage headlight. I was thinking maybe even an old carbide/gas light to mount on the X53 fender mount.

I am also thinking about doing some leather carving and stitch the leather to the seat pan. Lots of great ideas, but time will tell...

Bunch of cool parts. Any progress yet?

Sweet stash of parts, I see a Thick Brick sneaking in the pic :p Nice seat too :mrgreen:

Re: Pure Evel - Name Change

OK, so after much thought, I have decided to change the name of my bike from the Hot Rod Higgins to Pure Evel. You guessed it. It is going to be a tribute bike to my childhood hero Evel Knievel. The bike is going to keep the vintage retro look, but with inspiration from Evel Knievel bikes. I guess you could say it is my Pure Evel Rat Bike.

Finally got started on it today. First up...I've decided to chop the rear fender.

evel3.jpg

Gonna follow the line of the skirt and run the fender into a point. I think this will look killer on the Thick Brick out back.

evel4.jpg

the tank was pitted pretty bad from rust

evel1.jpg

Fender has a few dings....

evel2.jpg

Time to call in the big guns....BONDO

evel5.jpg

Let me start off by saying I have NO idea what I am doing when it comes to body and paint work...

The fender after.

evel6.jpg

and the tank

evel7.jpg

Gonna try to get everything into primer tomorrow....then figure out the paint scheme. Can decide if I want to go with the white bike with blue strips like the vintage Evel bicycles or maybe paint it up like one of the early Evel jumpbikes.....

Snale River Canyon Baby!

OK...so finally I am getting excited over this bike. I think I've decided to not use the X53 fork in the pic. It would have been perfect for a Hot Rod bike, but not so much an EK style bike. I have a killer '36 CWC Roadmaster frame sitting out in the garage. Pretty sure the X53 fork will end up on that frame over the winter. I think I've decided to go with either a triple tree style fork or I might even try to find a nice suspension fork.

Terry66 said:
OK, so after much thought, I have decided to change the name of my bike from the Hot Rod Higgins to Pure Evel. You guessed it. It is going to be a tribute bike to my childhood hero Evel Knievel. The bike is going to keep the vintage retro look, but with inspiration from Evel Knievel bikes. I guess you could say it is my Pure Evel Rat Bike.

Was looking forward to seeing how you was going to pull off a Hot Rod Lincoln theme even had ALL's Hot Rod Lincoln playing in my head lol. Evel Knievel sounds like a cool idea too

Latest posts

Back