hopefully soon..........

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
well, ive been trying to get this away from a reluctant seller but maybe itll be mine before the new year...........
columbia.jpg

perfect start for a build ive been thinking of for awhile

Is that a Columbia? Whatever it is.... it's cool.

yeah its a columbia. im guessing 30's. the guy that has it doesnt know anything about it and wont sell till it been appraised :(
should have gone to get it the other day but the wife was at work and didnt want to take a loooooooong ride with the boy in tow.well could have had it for 100 but now im guessing i might not be getting it :cry: :cry:
got all my fingers and toes crossed though......maybe the luck of the irish (lots o luck just all bad)WONT kick in this time :wink:
got the pics. thanks 12bcruzin!!

Sensor...I hate to hear words like "appraiser" as this will probably fill the owner's head full of garbage. The bike has a certain worth but I wouldn't get too involved in it as some of the parts that would elevate its value are missing-or were never there to begin with. Stuff like tank, lights, pedals and tires can run hundreds of dollars to find. To me, the $100 as it stands is even on the high side since you most likely will spend a good deal just to make it a rider. (junk seat, tires, fenders, grips etc) The most redeeming feature on the bike is the front brake so if you are thinking about getting it, make sure that it is complete and in good order.
What badge does it have? It looks like a mid 30s Columbia or Westfield. The rack kind of looks like it is off a Mead Ranger and the fenders don't look right but I am not sure from the picture.
What are you looking for in a project? I may be able to locate something...

yeah....im only gonna go too 200 and then hes on his own......theres really not a market for old bikes around here so ill probably get it sooner or later.......ive pointed out that its going to take at least 3 times as much as i want to pay to make it semi restored(rider)we'll see how it goes though(hes got 2 weeks from me). if youve got the same style frame and forks(or know someone that does ill gladdy take a project!!!)

all an appraiser can do is find comparables that sold at auction. unless theres basket cases like that one that have sold and been recoreded i dont think heck be getting a solid figure on the value. but if hes paying for an appraisal theyll most likely tell the guy what an original perfect condition bike is worth and what a perfect condition restored bike is worth. $200 is a SERIOUS offer on that bike IMO. but id definately let it go if he held out on ya.

ill cross my fingers for ya tho in the meantime :wink:

well......this never did pan out :x
he got it appraised and thinks he'll 'restore' it....incorrect parts,fresh rattle can(one color) told the guy if he just wanted more money to leave it as it was..at least then itd be original but........... if its got new paint and new tires and new seat its worth more :cry:
well....guess ill try him again in a year or 2!!

sensor said:
he got it appraised and thinks he'll 'restore' it....incorrect parts,fresh rattle can(one color) told the guy if he just wanted more money to leave it as it was..at least then itd be original but........... if its got new paint and new tires and new seat its worth more :cry:

awwww man........... dont get to down on it...... youll find a new one.

Too bad. I had a deal like that...three bikes, a late 40s Schwinn girls bike, an early 50s Higgins girls middle weight and a 40s Schwinn 20in boys DX bike. I was helping an old guy move to a new house over 15 years ago and found the bikes sitting out in the weather behind his garage. The girls bikes were complete with tanks and fenders and the 20in had fenders but all were in poor to very poor shape. They were buried about 6in into the dirt. I tried to buy them from him for parts but he wouldn't turn loose of them and got real protective when I showed an interest. Said he was going to "restore" them for his daughters (they were then in their 30s-40s).
Well I just ran into him again and he needed some car work done so I went to the new house. And much to my angst, the bikes were still in the same care as they were 15 years ago, stacked next to the garage in the dirt and weather. I again asked to buy the bikes and he said yes but that he needed to contact his three daughters first. All three said they wanted their bikes and to not sell them and that they were mad at him for leaving them out in the weather! The girls had left the bikes behind over 20 years ago and expected him to store them inside and care for them.He got peeved and said he was going to drop em off-unfortunatly they will probably end up as yard ornaments..I told him good luck and I am better off without the headache.

sensor said:
Tell him that he'd be stupid to do that, heck I'll tell him.

lol! i already tried that told him forget about selling it and just keep it as is(just repack all the bearings and such) :shock: but.....you know what the almighty dollar will do to judgement

Latest posts

Back