Homemade Truss Rods - Part 2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin B

Bicycle Demolitionist
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made another set of homemade truss rods. The first attempt is recorded here https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index...-for-building-truss-rods-from-scratch.110719/
That bike came out like this.
Main Shot.jpg

This project below also has a fatty fork but without the fender tabs by the fork drop outs. Further the bars had to be wider because of fender clearance. When I looked at it with a top bracket that wide it didn't look right so this time I made the 90 attachment bend at the top and a lesser bend sweeping in to a narrower bracket.

IMG_2458.JPG

For the top bracket I started with a 1" ID motorcycle clutch cable bracket. 1" was the smallest size I could locate so I cut a ring from an old 1" seat tube, split the ring vertically so it would tighten and used it for a bushing (with one aluminum can shim layer). It tightens up nicely with the setscrew.
IMG_2451.JPG

I modified a "T" steel plate. The only existing hole I used is the center one for a headlight bracket.
IMG_2452.JPG

IMG_2454.JPG

I'm fairly satisfied with the results. I flattened the 3/8" SS tubing at the bottom, profiled the edges and bolted the rods to rectangular washers behind the axle nut.
IMG_2456.JPG

This 2011 Chinese Schwinn has a few early styling cues now. I usually ride this bike about 10 miles a day.

IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_2459.JPG

Latest posts

Back