Homemade Tools

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else make tools or shop stuff that makes working on bikes easier?
Please post up some pics if you want to share them.

Here is a bearing cup press I made today from junk I had laying around.

4e6c82e2438dd0719fa4999dae4a9a73.jpg
c706d3a9668fd142c1203d4d87e785f8.jpg
5b688079534c54994e0b93f448cb39db.jpg

I made this tool for the non-drive side cone on bottom brackets. It has worked for me many times. It was made by cutting down two Schlage lock tools and bolting them together to swivel. (The lower picture of original Schlage tool. They come with the locks so they pile up fast.

IMG_2761.JPG

BEKD316.jpg

I got a hand-made repair stand, and recently made a press-tool too, i just don't have any photos of it :)
Here is my repair stand, you can also see it literally in every build post of mine :)
index.php

Made of some scrap steel and U clamp. Height and angle are adjustable, the clamp holders are covered with rubber, there is a little table for parts on the top with holes for holding screwdrivers and other tools. It is a little shaky comparing to the factory-made one, but does the job. Of course if i'd make one today i'd make it better, since i have gained quite a bit of fabrication experience over the last few years, but i don't feel like replacing something that is functional and does the job well. Maybe if i move to a better or bigger workshop then i consider to make a new one.

I got a hand-made repair stand, and recently made a press-tool too, i just don't have any photos of it :)
Here is my repair stand, you can also see it literally in every build post of mine :)
index.php

Made of some scrap steel and U clamp. Height and angle are adjustable, the clamp holders are covered with rubber, there is a little table for parts on the top with holes for holding screwdrivers and other tools. It is a little shaky comparing to the factory-made one, but does the job. Of course if i'd make one today i'd make it better, since i have gained quite a bit of fabrication experience over the last few years, but i don't feel like replacing something that is functional and does the job well. Maybe if i move to a better or bigger workshop then i consider to make a new one.
Is that a tribute to Picasso on the wall behind your bench?

index.php

Very cool!

A repair stand is going to be my next build.

I know the bike sites say to use a stand but I don't have room to store one. Here is what I do for occasional work like chain work, servicing the bottom bracket and etc.
I made this from aluminum flat bar and angle stock. Looking back a piece of 1/4" plywood bolted in the center would be just as strong as my braces or more. Used a unicycle seat post to put it in the seat tube. I used to have a spare reg. tall seat post U bolted to it. This bolted on post is better.
Seat post unit up.JPG

This front unit goes under the handle bars.
Handlebar unit.JPG

Here it is clamped up. I use the removed section of the PVC Tees for a spacer.

Handlebar unit clamped.JPG

Both units in use. Sorry for the blurry image. This setup gives you a comfortable height. The u bolts turned out to be overkill.

Unit in use.JPG

This thrift store keyboard bench is easier and faster to use. It is adjustable. It could have been lowered more here.
IMG_2774.JPG

Truing stand made from a balloon fork and a couple of zip ties. The zip ties are nylon and flex if they touch the wheel and the don't scratch the paint.
20200526_161102.jpg

The moment when you have had something on the park stand for 120 hours of chasing bits of gimme the gorbage I'll just make it work and it hits the ground and you are just like dude, wait. This is perfect ❤️
IMG_20200808_221350.jpg

Latest posts

Back