BO15 HOMEMADE SHINE has a totally different look!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Four hour mock-up. All chrome and black. Rides like it should. Correct reverse stem. Obligatory super wide '64 sting ray bars. Period zeppelin grips. NOS 20" chainguard. Stupid-fat tires. 40's tricycle seat. This frame is early enough to take a lucky 7 seat post. Period juvenile pedals. No headbadge yet. Don't know if I like it or not.
DSCN1131.JPG
DSCN1132.JPG
DSCN1133.JPG

What an awesome score to get a chromed 40s frame/forks!!!!
I dig the chunky tires on there!

It looks too short! I think it's time to add one of my slammed modified springers. Or maybe my four foot chopper forks.

The next idea is to remove the straight bars on the springer. Might change the springs on the old tricycle seat. It will only hold about 80 pounds as originally equipped. And I don't like the way it sits too far back. Very limited by the way it is designed. Might have to redesign it. Here are some close-ups:

Coolest seat ever! From a 30's tricycle, I believe. Polished aluminum base with a padded vinyl insert:
DSCN1140.JPG

Nickel plated 30's headlight and correct up-side-down stem:
DSCN1142.JPG

Very unique original chainring with original cranks (both re-chromed) and NOS period chainguard:
DSCN1139.JPG

Early style axle adjusters always look great on a 20" frame:
DSCN1141.JPG

Last edited:
There was a lot of effort put in to chroming this thing. They even filled the headbadge holes before it was chromed. This model could have originally been equipped with one of many different headbadges. Luckily, I can measure the distance between the holes from inside the steering head to determine which headbadge it had originally. Is it worth trying to get the right headbadge? I know it's going to cost me big (like $80). Trying to think of something unusual to use as a headbadge. Any crazy ideas out there???

Last edited:
There was a lot of effort put in to chroming this thing. They even filled the headbadge holes before it was chromed. This model could have originally been equipped with one of many different headbadges. Luckily, I can measure the distance between the holes from inside the steering head to determine which headbadge it had originally. Is it worth trying to get the right headbadge? I know it's going to cost me big (like $80). Trying to think of something unusual to use as a headbadge. Any crazy ideas out there???
If you want a period looking (factory style) badge you could glue in rivet heads and they attach it with adhesive or 3M 2 sided tape or make/have made a custom one to be attached with adhesive or 2 sided tape.

I made one of brass for my board track bike in RRBBO8.
1274D4B0-54FD-4BE1-8BE1-7D42092CC41D.jpeg
17DD7ABF-EC90-44C6-9E1C-D3D0F8F42514.jpeg
2179B522-9871-4DE1-87F8-B8E8AA53475E.jpeg
75AEE85B-E995-4100-B12E-C9F10FBFD2CD.jpeg
FACF3F56-4F52-468D-8D53-54B0AF7D1DDB.jpeg

If you want a period looking (factory style) badge you could glue in rivet heads and they attach it with adhesive or 3M 2 sided tape or make/have made a custom one to be attached with adhesive or 2 sided tape.

I made one of brass for my board track bike in RRBBO8. View attachment 120398View attachment 120399View attachment 120400View attachment 120401View attachment 120402
That is just too cool!!! I am thinking about carving out a headbadge from one of my beer cans:
DSCN1146.JPG

My new build-off bike has arrived! I am either going to move the blue Huffy frame to the class 2 build-off, or not use it at all. So, on to the new idea. It's not going to be a rat because it has no rust. I really prefer to stay with the mid-30's through mid-50's bikes. So, staying within those parameters, I have acquired a very special 1948 Huffman Model 60. It has the original forks, chainring, cranks, kickstand, and wheels with the original New Departure D hubs. It's in amazing condition! A perfect starting place for a cool custom. And it's about as shiny as it can get. Everything has been CHROMED!View attachment 120175View attachment 120176View attachment 120177
o_O

My new build-off bike has arrived! I am either going to move the blue Huffy frame to the class 2 build-off, or not use it at all. So, on to the new idea. It's not going to be a rat because it has no rust. I really prefer to stay with the mid-30's through mid-50's bikes. So, staying within those parameters, I have acquired a very special 1948 Huffman Model 60. It has the original forks, chainring, cranks, kickstand, and wheels with the original New Departure D hubs. It's in amazing condition! A perfect starting place for a cool custom. And it's about as shiny as it can get. Everything has been CHROMED!View attachment 120175View attachment 120176View attachment 120177
I sort of like the Petty-blue frame!!!!

Removed the straight bars from the springer. They just didn't "flow". That made the headlight stand out better also. Plus I lowered the seat down as far as it would go. Looks a lot better that way. Close to being finished. Basically another 3-day build. It's just a matter of fine tuning now. Time to sit and stare at it to come up with any further ideas and refinements. Still need to figure out some kind of headbadge. Liking the beer can headbadge idea. But that means I would be using a non-bicycle part on one of my builds. First time for everything. Breaking my own rules.
DSCN1165.JPG
DSCN1167.JPG
DSCN1171.JPG

Right now what I'm trying to figure out is whether I'm recognizing that garage door, or The Big Tim Style. Looking rad n beastly
Crazy story! This happened the other day. I was googling old bike pictures, and someone had posted a rusty 50's bike in front of a garage that looks exactly like mine. I was trying to figure out which one of my bikes it was. Then I realized that it wasn't my garage. I don't have a gravel driveway, and that's not my bike! Parallel Universe!
1589557720123.png
1589557738961.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back