BO15 HOMEMADE SHINE has a totally different look!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that it was time to improve upon Homemade Shine. I actually became bored with it (as a short bike) a long time ago. So, it was time for a change. Being a big guy, I also got tired of not really being able to really ride it comfortably. So, since I grew up in the muscle bike era, I decided to turn Homemade Shine into a Sting Ray style custom pig bike. The bars I used are 16" high instead of the 12" typical of the '64 Sting Ray bars, but only 28" wide instead of 33". Plus they are angled forward to make the 60's sculptured grips set level. Those high bars with a Krate front springer fork, as well as an almost straight-up style stem, sets the front end up really high (48"). Then I used a Schwinn Sting Ray chrome long seat post and a cool 42" long sissy bar to raise the banana seat (of unknown origin) up to achieve a 34" seat height (and a 52" sissy bar height). The rear tire is an original slick from back in the day, and the front is an old balloon tire from the 40's-50's (more correct to the age of the bike). The wheels are still the originals to the bike (1948). And I have found an NOS correct headbadge the will be here sometime this week. I really like the bike now because it is very tall compared to its length. It is easy to ride and turns on a dime. Plus it's a great wheelie bike!
DSCN1257.JPG
DSCN1258.JPG
DSCN1259.JPG

Last edited:
I was doing some research trying to figure out which headbadge this bike would have been correct originally. The only other example similar to this bike that I could find with the same components was a Dayton-Huffman with this headbadge.
1593665867904.png

I like how it's designed to wrap around the sides of the steering tube.
1593666247446.png

1593666282993.png

The bike is even old enough to have a brass headbadge.
1593666439019.png

I am just going to glue it to the frame because the holes were filled when they chromed everything. It will be here this week and then the bike will be finished.

Last edited:
This was the proverbial barn find. A kind-of-rare '52 Columbia-built JC Higgins. The original tires were still on it and were shredding to pieces. And I still have pieces of metal in my fingers from removing them after almost 70 years of gluing themselves to the rims. The amazing thing is that the original tubes are still perfect and hold air! I couldn't believe it. And I wasn't gentle with them while removing the tires because I assumed that they were junk. This appears to be a low mileage bike. Since this model rarely ever has black wheels (and they are straight), I decided to install huge 2.5" all black tires. And, if you know me, you know that I hate black tires! This bike has narrow fenders, even though it is a balloon tire bike. So, the big meats are very visible from the side. And, believe it or not, they don't rub anywhere! With the black rims, the big tires give this thing an over-engineered military look. Don't know if I will clean this thing up, or just leave it barn-ratty and ride it???
DSCN1263.JPG
DSCN1264.JPG
DSCN1265.JPG

Last edited:
I was doing some research trying to figure out which headbadge this bike would have been correct originally. The only other example similar to this bike that I could find with the same components was a Dayton-Huffman with this headbadge.
View attachment 127450
I like how it's designed to wrap around the sides of the steering tube.
View attachment 127451
View attachment 127452
The bike is even old enough to have a brass headbadge.
View attachment 127453
I am just going to glue it to the frame because the holes were filled when they chromed everything. It will be here this week and then the bike will be finished.

Use 3M mounting tape, Killer stuff to have on hand.

1593729925056.png

Check for grease, and get on it!
I am unable to ride it. Seat is too high and bars are too low. Maybe I can install my black 24" apes and remove the seat and just sit on the rack??? It's a really heavy duty rack. I think it will hold me. :giggle:

Last edited:
It would not be easy to re-drill those headbadge holes on that excurvate surface without a jig. Don't want to hurt that chrome.

Got the new (to me) '52 JC Higgins so it's ride-able with my standard-issue funky tires and 12" ape hanger bars. Unfortunately, that pesky rear rack prevents the seat from being lowered any further. Might have to go with my black 24" ape hanger bars.
DSCN1276.JPG
DSCN1277.JPG
DSCN1278.JPG

Better? Or just completely stupid? Time for some four-foot chopper forks?
DSCN1279.JPG

Last edited:
Got the new (to me) '52 JC Higgins so it's ride-able with my standard-issue funky tires and 12" ape hanger bars. Unfortunately, that pesky rear rack prevents the seat from being lowered any further. Might have to go with my black 24" ape hanger bars.View attachment 128383View attachment 128385View attachment 128386

Better? Or just completely stupid? Time for some four-foot chopper forks?View attachment 128398
This is the first step in the evolution to REALLY BIG Reallybigtim Style

Latest posts

Back