Holes Worn Thru Forks/Stays

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have obtained a couple of classic 28” former warped wood wheel bike frames, where a lopsided tire or wheel has worn through the tubing of forks or stays, also have 26” frames with ice blowout and loose crank wear thru.
Is there a good way to patch or repair these significant holes?
I am familiar with brazing, but wonder if some Epoxy based fixes may be more appropriate for the projects at hand?

I have repaired many things with JB Weld. Incl a truck radiator tank, tractor radiator filler neck, Toyota and Hyundai crank case oil pans with leaking rust holes.

Its epoxy reinforced with metal filings I believe. I always try to back it up with metal. In the above extreme cases, I let the fluids drain, clean and scrape the area to clean metal and use short sheet metal screws in the holes. After test fit and final cleaning, I put some JB Weld then screw the screw(s) part way in so there is maybe 1/4" of the head sticking up and I cover with JB Weld. On a bike frame I would try to bridge gaps in the tubes with small chunks of tube or sheet metal - press fit maybe with a few holes on the patch piece if space allows maybe a few sheet metal screws, then JB Weld. I think if you clean the surface, add metal to bridge the gap and anchor the patch it should work.

Latest posts

Back