Hokum-Pokum....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hokum-Pokum....yes, you've guessed it!

well, i'm back from some other distractions.....

.....so it's time for more flat bed action! :roll:

flatbedyetmore4.jpg

...so, i managed to fit the other supports...

flatbedyetmore2.jpg

...and the cross-members...

...to give...

flatbedyetmore3.jpg

right good. glad that's done, well apart from abit of cleaning up - it'll be nice to continue with some more mod-work!

...but continuing with the flat-bed :shock: ...

flatbedslatsraw.jpg

...i'd better process this old work-bench.

more later.........

soooo, with alot of cutting, planing, and 60lbs of saw dust later.....

flatbedslats.jpg

now to fit....

TheFlatBed.jpg

well, as good as done.....

....better get down and fit a seat! :D

sooooo, been away from the action..

... best make a start on the seat area...

HonkHonk.jpg

...wee bit of brazing...

HonkHonk1.jpg

...apparently the horn is NOS Raleigh Chopper...

...fits ok...

HonkHonk2.jpg

HonkHonk3.jpg

... better drill a hole...

HonkHonk4.jpg

...a touch more brazing...

HonkHonk6.jpg

...as shown by michellin man...

HonkHonk5.jpg

...not quite what i wanted, with the horn-portal being a bit bigger than the top-tube...

...never mind, better crack-on and fill the vent-holes at the head and seat tube junctions...

...blahhhhh-ha-ha! :shock:

Re: Hokum-Pokum....errrr?

so continuing with the horn section, better fill in the ventholes...

...gonna fit these'mushroomed bits of studding...

TubeBung.jpg

...before...

TubeBung1.jpg

...and after. did the seat tube too, which was much more tricky...

TubeBung2.jpg

...now just need to ream them tubes out.

better do a pressure test to check for a good seal...

PressureTest.jpg

PressureTest1.jpg

...yeah, seems good enough. will come back to this later...

mean while, better make a start on the seat post...

SeatPost1.jpg

used some more old chair-legs - spares that weren't used on the carrier...

...just fit a scrap piece of 1" ERW...

...bish-bash-bosh...

SeatPost5.jpg

SeatPost2.jpg

SeatPost3.jpg

job done. just need to sort out a seat-pan bracket :|

Okay! How much will it cost us to see the WHOLE bike now! :roll: ...........Did you ever think about a career in writing "suspense" novels. :lol:

KOTA said:
Okay! How much will it cost us to see the WHOLE bike now! :roll: ...........Did you ever think about a career in writing "suspense" novels. :lol:

just some patience :)

once i've built the wheels - prob over the weekend, then i can do a dry run - though i still need to get a headset and clean-up the other parts, especially the bars :|

the only other mod work to be done are seat and horn related, then i can get down to painting - not too sure as to what colour :?

Re: Hokum-Pokum....you bet!

well, built the wheels last night, using DT Comp. spokes, x4 pattern....

...and here's a dry-ish run...

Mock-up1.jpg

Mock-up.jpg

...seat pan will be as low as it can go, need a little more hot work so as to make the hooter usable, and to fit a chain guard.

yeah lots going on - i tend to prefer the more 'simple' type of bike...

bit a tight on space regarding the mudguards, so might just forget to having them, dunno...

...anyway, time to clean-up those smeggy pedals...

PedalClean.jpg

...a quick dip a some alkali, follow by some lovely acid...

AluClean-up.jpg

AluClean-up1.jpg

that's got most of the corrosion off, maybe a longer dip may have been required, but they're good enough...

PedalClean1.jpg

...just finish of with with a bit of wire-wheel action...

PedalClean2.jpg

...that'll do.

more component revamp to come :shock:

BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR INTEREST! :D

I really like that front rack. I would love to have a frame mounted rack on my Xtracycle.

Wow, I am just blown away with the craftmanship and detail on this (and other) builds in RRBBO3. It is really inspiring me to learn how to braze/weld.
However I think the next build off will have to be a little more basic so I can compete :) .
I can't wait to see how this will turn out.
Were did you find those wide rims?

cman said:
I really like that front rack. I would love to have a frame mounted rack on my Xtracycle.

cheers. yours for £380 :lol:

moleman said:
Wow, I am just blown away with the craftmanship and detail on this (and other) builds in RRBBO3. It is really inspiring me to learn how to braze/weld.
However I think the next build off will have to be a little more basic so I can compete :) .
Were did you find those wide rims?

cheers. you could always join stuff with nuts, bolts and rivets, like with the hooter, i've (in away) borrowed the idea from an old friend who had a very large one (oo-er!) mounted at the head tube and some reused copper water pipe strapped along the top tube, with the rubber bulb near the seat. no welding or brazing used.

sometimes simplicity - or stuff that looks simple - i find, has more impact. this is a bit of a nonsense bike, but totally ridable, and i'm not even sure how it's gonna turn out. all depends on the paint. have an idea, but might save that for the next monster :D

all i know is the amount of gas i'm squandering, instead of using it to build from scratch. all good fun!

anyway, i got the rims off ebay, from 24-7. they're trials rims, check out this site for similar stuff....

http://www.echobike.com/index1.htm

http://www.trials-uk.co.uk/category.aspx?categoryid=36

yeah, i've always been interested with bicycle trick-bits, with the likes of crystal designs, clark kent, cook bros, paul components, srp, hope, middleburn, to name a few. this kind of stuff seems to have taken a bit of back seat over the last 10 years, but this trials stuff (although i don't ride trials) has been like a breath of fresh air, bling-wise :)

moleman said:
it is...thats why theres no frame mods :wink: get a bike and join the fun!
looks great copycat :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back