Hokum-Pokum....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"
Balls2.jpg

...that's one red-hot cherry-bomb!"

Sad...the fact that its glowing makes me want to touch it....

I too thought it looked like it might be a shifter at first but then looking closer that ball bearing isn't very large. Any clues to what it is? I can't make heads or tails of it. I wish I had access to a shop like that to build in. Nice work so far.

And here I was thinking "I hope they cut this guy some slack because he lives on a small remote island and doesn't have access to a bigger selection of used bikes to choose from".

Yea, I stand humbled before the rat rod gods for underestimating their ingenuity, craftsmanship, and the ability to acquire an awesome garage full of tools............

Re: Hokum-Pokum....more progress....

GodHatesCleveland said:
And here I was thinking "I hope they cut this guy some slack because he lives on a small remote island and doesn't have access to a bigger selection of used bikes to choose from".

Yea, I stand humbled before the rat rod gods for underestimating their ingenuity, craftsmanship, and the ability to acquire an awesome garage full of tools............

why thank you. most of the tools belong to the school i work for, but the oxy-acetylene gear, frame building tools and bike tools are my own.

but moving on with the job in hand,

AxStopComp.jpg

...errr?

AxStopComp1.jpg

...from this (with alittle more lathe work and elbow grease)......

AxStopComp2.jpg

...to this...

AxStopComp3.jpg

...then to this...

DropoutAlli.jpg

...better check that them there dropouts are alligned...

AxStopFreshBraze.jpg

...a touch more hot-work...

AxleStop2.jpg

...there're those ball again...

AxleStop1.jpg

..and until next time, that's it.

Rollin Double Sixes said:
Ha! Thats brilliant. I would have never guessed it would be a tensioner and it looks like you're making your own hub?! Can't wait to see more.

making my own hub?

nah. have been thinking about it for a few years, but don't really see the point - just alot of work, even using a cnc lathe/mill.

anyway, that is just a shimano single speed coaster hub. quality.

Re: Hokum-Pokum....indeed....

yeah, the tensioner is only on the drive-side side of the frame - the coaster arm on the non-drive side will keep the hub secure on that side, like so.....

IMG_2023.jpg

...i hate slotting, so i've used this stuff...

IMG_2022.jpg

...better braze them together...

IMG_2026.jpg

...with a touch of grinding and filing...

...and some brazing...

IMG_2033.jpg

...et, voila.

...well, time to move on to the fork steerer convertion...

SteererConv.jpg

won't be needing that...

SteererConv1.jpg

...using a spare bit of steerer and a 4130 insert, resulting in a butted lap-joint...

SteererConv3.jpg

...yet more photos of me...

SteererConv5.jpg

...satifactory join...

SteererConv7.jpg

job done.

spinman said:
I don't have a clue on what you're conjuring up, but i could look at you glorious photos all day long. :D

True artistry in steel.

Spin

well.....it's just a bike that needs doing up, er, yeah, it's a bit of fun - not totally sure where i'm taking it, so to speak, like i'm still not at all sure as what/how to paint it (the finishing on the bike after this one has been thought of...?!).

usually i'm building frames from scratch - i started off by doing chop-drop and stretch job with and along side the likes of matt 7/32nds (http://bikerodnkustom3.homestead.com/cover8_03.html), back in the day at Bikefix, in London, but after building a beast for amsterdam FBI 2006, it really took the edge and enjoyment out of it all....and although didn't cost the earth, money wise, it did take 3 years the design and build!

...yeah it's just for fun stuff. :D

mastershake916 said:
This is too much, no more! no more!

sorry, more pics on the way, until completion - i hope.

owen.

I don't know exactly where this bike is headed, but I like what I see so far. Makes me question what the heck I'm doing for sure. Anyway, those are awesome tensioner bolts. Gonna make any spares? Got a sweet ol' schwinn project that something similar would look great on. Just a thought. Dunno...

No Talent Clown said:
I don't know exactly where this bike is headed, but I like what I see so far. Makes me question what the heck I'm doing for sure. Anyway, those are awesome tensioner bolts. Gonna make any spares? Got a sweet ol' schwinn project that something similar would look great on. Just a thought. Dunno...

errrr....probably not at the moment....got a boat to renovate, or me missus will have me guts for garters! hahaha!

Unbelievable detail!........I'm sitting here with my mouth open!... You are a true CRAFTSMAN.

KOTA said:
Unbelievable detail!........I'm sitting here with my mouth open!... You are a true CRAFTSMAN.

cheers, but check these fellows out, they really are craftsmen....

http://www.llewellynbikes.com/thegallery/index.php

http://www.donwalkercycles.com/Welcome.html

http://www.curtgoodrich.com/

http://www.richardsachs.com/

http://www.juniper-solutions.com/coconi ... allery.php

....to name a few....

....admittedly, they are pretty conventional when compared to this....

campsimpletonA.jpg

haha!

Re: Hokum-Pokum....the saga continues....

anyway, got some more parts for said nonsense bike....

OtherParts.jpg

....the mudguard (fender) was originally from a BSA motorbike, and intended for that red beast (above), but as it was too wide for those 24 x 3 tyres i removed a strip from the middle and brazed the thing back together....but seeing as i got that bike powder-coated i wasn't confident that it'll stay in one piece....

...blah blah blah...

...back to them there flat-bed mounts...

FlatBedMnts.jpg

...i filled the voids in the brass, then proceeded in filing the mitres...

FlatBedMnts1.jpg

...i've fitted this type of thing to 2 previous frames, and so have already made a jig (but still no flat-bed, yet that is!!!)

FlatBedMnts2.jpg

just needs cleaning up....

amazing work your doing there. those rims are very cool they look like the old mongoose 26 inch rims. i actually found a set of the originals that i am using on pay it back. good luck

Latest posts

Back