Hillbomber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Can I play too?

DSCN0006.jpg

Just put on a set of Spaceliner forks. Paint tomorrow, time permitting.

johnny nightwolf said:
sensor said:
looks great! i dunno about the rubber band fender braces though....... :wink:
Trust me, they'll hold.

Get the big red rubber bands. They'll match the sidewalls! :wink: (Ask your Mailman, I guarantee he'll have some in his truck.)

Got a whole bunch of parts, so I can finish the mockup and get ready for final paint. Here's a set of Diamondback cranks & sprocket. Also, a test fit of the back fender with the tire inflated. I need to fabricate a bracket to make it fit right. Got my wheels, the rims are gonna be painted black. Fork is gonna be green, and the springer parts are gonna be black. I think I'm leaving the bars & stem chrome. Have to see how it looks.
DSCN0008-1.jpg

Here's the fit on the fender. Once I get that bracket made up, it should fit pretty nice.
DSCN0006-1.jpg

And a few more shots.
DSCN0005.jpg

DSCN0007-2.jpg

DSCN0004.jpg

I like it, you came a long way so far!.....I REALLY like those tires. :mrgreen:

Thanks guys! The tires are Specialized Fast Trak LK 26 x 2.00 all terrain tires. Got them at my LBS. They weren't cheap, but they're super heavy duty and have really aggressive (and cool looking 8)) tread.

Fabricated the bracket for the rear fender, using a chunk of the leftover huffy fender.
DSCN0001-4.jpg

DSCN0002-4.jpg

DSCN0003-1.jpg

DSCN0006-2.jpg

Also found a headlight. Almost ready for paint now!

I've been incredibly busy this week, but yesterday and today I finally took some time to work on the bike... First, made a new bracket for the fender and got it JB Welded into place. Slapped some mud over it and started smoothing it out.
DSCN0022.jpg

Then taped off the wheels and painted them black.
DSCN0020.jpg

DSCN0021.jpg

This was my first time painting wheels, and I'm not thrilled with how they turned out... I'm just not sure how long it'll hold up under riding conditions. They do look really cool with these tires though!
DSCN0023.jpg

I also finally thought up a name for this thing. Since I got a lot of my inspiration for it from the old hillclimber motorcycles, and since going downhill on a bike is WAY more fun than going up, I'm gonna call it the Hillbomber.

Painted the frame for real this time. Gave it a little something to break up all the green. Needs to be sanded and cleared now. After that, I'm going to lay some pinstripes down to clean up the lines a little, so after some practice this weekend, I'm going to attempt some striping... Wish me luck! (wow, the flash makes that look WAY worse than it actually looks... I'm actually pretty happy with it.)
DSCN0036.jpg

Hillbomber, love it! I like the paint. I'm curious to know how the wheel paitn will hold up...

Dude, nice forks. You gotta flip 'em around like I did on mine last night. It's pretty easy and looks good!

Almost done! Just need to mount the rear fender, put a chain on it, and find a seat post clamp. I don't think I'm going to paint the bars or the crank, I sort of like the chrome accents. Here's a few pictures.
DSCN0047-1.jpg

DSCN0049-1.jpg

DSCN0053.jpg

Took the bike out for its maiden voyage yesterday, and decided I really like it without fenders. I'm actually a little bummed because I spent a bunch of time making the back fender fit nice, and had to redo the bracket I fabricated twice. Oh well... I still have a few days to decide if I want to run them or not. Anyway, it rides nice, and handles rocks and rough ground like a champ. I'm really happy with the overall ride, and with how well it does what I wanted. Here's some photos of the Hillbomber in its natural element.
DSCN0061-1.jpg

DSCN0062-1.jpg

DSCN0064-1.jpg

DSCN0065-1.jpg

DSCN0066.jpg

DSCN0070.jpg

DSCN0071.jpg

Latest posts

Back