Hillbomber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, I finally won the frame I was after today on the ebay, so I'm in if its not too late. It's a Rollfast, looks like late 40s.
8d3a_1.jpg
8ca8_1.jpg
Got some plans, I'll know better when I actually have the frame in my possession. Please tell me I'm not too late to join in the fun!

Re: Can I play too?

FINALLY GOT MY FRAME!!!! It's a little more beat than I expected, and it looks like it may have had a motor mounted to it, because it's full of holes. Am I allowed to weld up the holes, or is that against the rules? Maybe I'll just plug and bondo them. Other than that, it's a pretty solid starting point. Now that I'm looking at it, I'm thinking knobby tires and drop bars... Sort of a custom/ dirt track type of thing. Thoughts?
0626080250.jpg
mail-1.jpg
0620081943.jpg
0620081943b.jpg
0620081943a.jpg
0620081943d.jpg

Rollfast Hillclimber

Starting to make a bit of progress. Got the bike mostly down to bare metal, filled the holes in the frame, and started doing a mockup. Starting to see an early hillclimber motorcycle influence coming through. Low and stripped down, big knobby tires (maybe some chains!) and some kind of cool old springer front end.
0626081704a.jpg
0626081705.jpg
0626081705b.jpg

The fenders are off of a 70s girls Huffy that I built up for a friend. They were really really beat up, so I bobbed them pretty severely and beat them with a hammer until they fit the contours of the Rollfast. Now I have to finish getting the frame straight and smooth, and it'll be ready for paint. Waiting on a bunch of cool eBay finds, so hopefully I'll have some more complete photos soon! Oh, and I know there's a front wheel on the back. It's just a mock up.

sensor said:
didnt notice the front wheel on the back but i do know the tread on the front tire....schwinn spitfire right?
looks good :mrgreen:
Your guess is WAY better than mine! Honestly, I just grabbed it out of a pile of wheels I have in my shed to start mocking the bike up. Its a 1 3/8 tire, and says it fits an EA-3 rim? There's no stamp anywhere on the rim or the hub.

only reason i know what the tread is is i stole my sisters old fairlady to pillage for parts for the kids build off and it had those tires on it :wink:

BLASTER said:
Great frame and inspiration!
What happened to the head tube detail?
What was that?
That's the rollfast headbadge. It was covered with 3 coats of paint and almost 70 years worth of dirt and grease. I took it off to make cleanup easier, and so I wouldn't have to paint around it. It'll be back on there though.
0628081333-1.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Finally got a digital camera, so no more cell phone pictures! Here she is after a first coat of paint (Stupid rain stupid lack of paint booth hate weather can't get a decent day to lay down a few coats) to see if I like the color combo I had picked out. So far, so good, I think. Got some sick mtb tires too. Hope the final forks have enough clearance for the front fender. If not, making it was good practice at least. Either way, I got sick of waiting on my new set of forks, so I cut down the steering tube so I could get a better idea of the final stance. Now I'm just waiting on a set of wheels from my lbs, and looking for a cool sprocket. Anyone? Cool sprocket? Columbia maybe?
DSCN0013.jpg

DSCN0016-1.jpg

DSCN0015.jpg

And now, with the new tires:
DSCN0002.jpg

Latest posts

Back