BO15 High Plains Drifter (The Finish Line)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I have cut away,(they rusted away) the frame supports to accommodate a 26 inch wheel and tire set on this 16 inch frame,while running a springer front end, I would have no brakes if I ran a 3 speed. I decided that I would mount a rear brake on the sissy bar. This is mocked up with a reflector Mount. I thought I might just beef up the back side, but thought about two other options. Maybe a mount made from copper tubing using T joints, cutting them and mounting them with pipe clamps. I also found a piece of an alternator mount that would work great, if I drill a hole in the mount, along with two holes in the sissy bar to mount. I’m making all 3 to see which is strongest. I’ll call it either a Sissy Brake or Suicide brake.
4A0DC189-DF45-46CE-90D8-70C6114FF556.jpeg
46BE0ACC-9F18-475C-8BFD-8BA707AE5BF3.jpeg
DC131A37-9164-4D6D-A8AB-D545A56144D2.jpeg

I'm intrigued by the idea. How solid is the sissy steel? That might flex n bend under braking, stays do, and they're more solid than the bar.
I’m not sure I f I’ll try to skid the tire with it, but I thing it will be strong enough to not flex. I’m starting with a copper pipe idea first. I’m afraid if I drill the sissy bar it will weaken.
image.jpg

My Murray might be a 1962, not a 1959. I found the serial number on the side of one of the drop outs. There is basically no information on the bike, other than a very old thread that showed up on this sight. I’m currently unable that access any catalog info. Any Murray experts knowledge would be helpful.
AD06DAD9-F1C5-46CF-BA27-281ECC6410C4.jpeg

I just love the archaeological dig part of these build offs! I am not a Murray expert, but would refer you to others here, or do a post of that photo you just posted on https://thecabe.com/forum/
aka The CABE and one of those vintage bike nerds will surely have the answer. :grin:

Search on the CABE. I know there is a thread on Murray serial dates.

I hope you are right about the sissy brake, but I sure wouldn't trust it in a pinch. Good luck.

Search on the CABE. I know there is a thread on Murray serial dates.

I hope you are right about the sissy brake, but I sure wouldn't trust it in a pinch. Good luck.
Yes I cruised around CABE for a moment. I need to sign up. I’ll try to hunt that thread. Thank you. We’ll see on the sissy brake. I’m going to make it work for this build and most likely have some stays added back to the bike. I like how sleek the frame looks and I think the sissy brake is a trick I haven’t seen done. I will try a hard brake when it’s all put together. Being just a cruiser it shouldn’t be a problem.

Time to put the chain on and see if I have good tension. The gear on this 333 hub is a bit larger than my gear on the mock up wheel, which had a lot of slop. If I need more room i will notch out the dropouts a bit. I’m happy with the strength of the sissy brake so far. I need a couple more hose clamps to finish off it’s mounting.
472C8D0C-4B36-4A18-BA5F-9F581E0FB921.jpeg
BFC763FA-9C71-493F-B362-947857EA5610.jpeg

Latest posts

Back