BO15 High Plains Drifter (The Finish Line)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Filled and primed. Tomorrow I’ll do a quick wet sand then on to the white. Humidity sucks. Rain should pass by the weekend and maybe I can paint outside.
61BFA351-888E-4692-AB0B-353B44332792.jpeg
1314EDDB-7628-417E-9BE2-FCD1CDB9DB88.jpeg

Last edited:
Do the ‘definitely purple’ areas only for the first coat or two, then do the ‘fade to white’ on the last coat, maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s kind of what I was thinking. I’ll probably “loosely” wrap the part I don’t want solid purple with some paper. I would hate to leave any sort of tape line. Use some cardboard to block off overspray while shooting. Painting it in segments. One coat covers heavy. I may head to Slobby Lobby to check out some model paint.

I've long considered and often imagined a Gene Winfield type of fade job on a bike by rattle can, so look forward to learning from any of your possible challenges and techniques.
....whenever you're ready

I've long considered and often imagined a Gene Winfield type of fade job on a bike by rattle can, so look forward to learning from any of your possible challenges and techniques.
....whenever you're ready
I imagine the same things. With a bicycle, there is very little space to work on, to give that impression unless you make tank or panel. I would rather do the fade work with my airbrush since you can control the paint easily. Well see what I end up with. Whatever happens I’m just going with it.

Finally got caught up on your build! Man, you've got a ton of creativity, and this bike is going to be all the better for it! I can't wait to see how you get that purple/white fade like you want. It's going to be cool!
Thank you @Bike from the Dead for checking in on it! I appreciate the kind words. I’ve had ideas boiling for quite some time and I’m glad to finally get them in physical form. The build off has been inspiring and motivation to get to work. I hope to get it done a couple weeks before the deadline so I can enjoy it.

Thank you @Bike from the Dead for checking in on it! I appreciate the kind words. I’ve had ideas boiling for quite some time and I’m glad to finally get them in physical form. The build off has been inspiring and motivation to get to work. I hope to get it done a couple weeks before the deadline so I can enjoy it.
Any time David, any time! Yeah, this build off has been a huge motivational boost for me as well. I just hope I can get my bike rideable before the deadline!

NICE! Is it a 2 door, or 4 door? What kind of engine's going in it?
It’s a four door. Came with a monster inline Six. Will probably put a 350 runner in it while I either restore the engine or source a Cadillac engine or big block. I want to take it to Voodoo Larry for a chop and body mods.

Phase one of laying down the purple fades today. The only purple paint in rattle can form, that matched up with my seat cover, was a Rustoleum 2X coverage enamel. Very uncontrollable and easy to overshoot. I started 2 feet away from the chain guard and it still shot heavy. I was happy with the outcome though I wanted to hit a couple of spots. Decided to leave as is since I like the result. Beware of this paint. It is good but you could easy ruin your project with f not careful.
3173097A-C0BD-4C94-8661-DBFEC544C13D.jpeg
E4293271-03AC-47AF-82A9-832569D81FB2.jpeg
4AC7D91B-725F-4BCE-AC09-56A5E865A089.jpeg
21F9354D-8796-4520-A2E5-6954515A62C0.jpeg
A11D21B9-6881-4662-9C05-F7AAE338A54F.jpeg

Latest posts

Back