High Horse - Tallbike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: High Horse

thats sweet i like it. always like to see out side the box bikes

Thanks guys! Well not a whole lotta progress in the last week but I did manage to weld in a gusset in the bottom bottom :wink: bracket. i didnt like that this area was only brazed together. And it didnt look like strong brazing, so I tigged in some reinforcement and kept it stylish as well :wink: .
2highhrs8.jpg

Oh and I almost forgot the Ann Arbor bike show was today. It was pretty disappointing, Ive thrown away better stuff than most people were selling. One snob had a set of horse head grips that looked like they were off some kind of kiddie horsey toy. They woulda been perfect for the bikes namesake! I said "what'd you gotta have for these? He replied $75! I was speechless, I didnt even counter him cause he was already about $40 more than I wanted to pay. I did manage to find a wheel to replace the bent one I was gonna try to fix for the rear. That one little thing made it worth going. And the $3 seat.
2highhrs7.jpg
2highhrs6.jpg
2highhrs4.jpg

Finally some time to work! I think I have everything to finish now which is good because I want to take it to Freakinmuth in two weeks. That's the Tour De Franknmuth, cycling event held in Michigans historic german themed Frankenmuth. So next in line was to finish the bits of welding and start prepping for paint. Our forecast is for major wetness and crappy low temps so this will be interesting. i welded in this nice little crossbrace in first. Sanded and primed.
hh4.jpg
hh1-1.jpg

I also wanted to get rid of the bottom bottom bracket cause it was ugly. I noticed on other tall bikes that it doesnt look right if you just leave an empty hole there so heres what I did. I found a couple washers that fit in the holes.
hh5.jpg
Once one of the washers was welded in for support, I cut along the bottom even with the tubes.
hh3.jpg
Im thinking about welding in some small wings on the sides as an extra step, but not sure on that yet.
hh2.jpg

Well Im sure this paint is probably as soft as mush with all the damp soggy weather michigans been experiencing, but its ready. Friday morning we woke to dry pavement. Good thing seeing the show is Sat morning and I need to learn how to ride it. My awesome wife decided she was going to record this against my best wishes. Kinda glad she did cause It sure made a heck of a replay for me to watch later... from the couch... with an ice pack. :oops: Anyways Im ok. Sore all over especially my wrist and thumb but generaly fine. In fact I pretty much got right back up on it after I tightened the neck. :oops: Oh and just as a note, that was my first time ever wearing a helmet on a bike. Good call! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwMtSIgg7Hg&NR=1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYordr6w ... re=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19B1rALR ... re=related

Re: High Horse - with Riding video 5/28

OUCH!!!!!! I felt that from here.......

now, lets see a wheelie!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Great job on the bike and those welds are fantastic. I have always wondered how someone would get on one of those tall bikes, now I know. Thanks for posing the videos. Glad you didn't get hurt. :D

In HIs service
BTR

I am following this build, what a great job you are doing so far! It's like a "modern" penny-farthing.

Cheers,
Tim

borntoride said:
Great job on the bike and those welds are fantastic. I have always wondered how someone would get on one of those tall bikes

In HIs service
BTR
Normally these type bikes have a small step bar welded to the frame to assist getting up there. Usually on the seat stay. I chose the unconventional method of jumping on the unstable pedal. When I was building it I put stacked up milkcrates in different spots and tried to see if any spots felt good to put one on. None did so I just left it alone cause I knew I could get on using the pedal. Now that I have been practicing, its getting alot easier. So I probably wont put one on.

Tommy Two Time, Thanks for the response. It all makes sense now that I've watched your video and read your explanation. The tall bikes interest me, although I am not sure I want to ride one. I noticed one in front of a coffee shop in the town that I work in but I did not have a chance to look it over. If I see it again I will take a closer look. I hope you continue to have fun with your tall bikk.

In His service
BTR

I forgot to put a picture of the finished bike up so here it is. Then I noticed that the bike has already had some updates( ie, rear hub, wheel and new handle bars) since I took this photo. Im taking it to the raceway this weekend so I'll get updated pics for sure.
tomstallbike2.jpg

I really enjoyed reading your build journal. Your frame came out super clean and I dig the fade in the paint.Looks like a cycle trucks big brother.Great job

Latest posts

Back