Hiawatha Seneca (almost there)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, coming off of the Build Off, and I want to try to get this Seneca rolling. I picked it up at a swap meet strictly because of the chain ring and the patina.
uveby7ej.jpg

Some back story on the purchase. A big storm was rolling in, and they announced that they were closing down everything and people should seek shelter...it's on now. I spotted this one and pounced on it quick...talked him down about 30%. Anyway, roll it out of the car the next day...maybe I should've looked it over a little better. Tires...shot, frame welded in a couple spots...pourly, back wheel was junk.
Ok, gotta move forward no sense kicking myself too much.
Did a little work tonight:
-Tried a variation on my pipe seat post...have to get a different angle on it though.
-Took some truss rods off of a parts bike.
-Added a hairpin seat that was originally for my build off bike (but that hawthorne women's seat is so comfortable and ratty).
-Set of half-moon handlebars
Here's where it sits now:
egemy6a8.jpg

Like I said...seatpost needs work, but you can see where this is heading...right? ;)

Ok...got the seat post in a better arrangement...still not too sure about the seat though.
Spent some quality time tonight with my favorite weapons, 0000 Steel Wool and Meguier's quick detailer spray...who would've known this was once a red bike.
Then, to finish up, I used my secret weapon, turtle wax ice, to seal it up and give it some luster.
4yresyre.jpg

Liking it a lot now! I'll try to find a headlight and a reflector for the rear fender. Tires should be here Monday, and she should be rolling by Monday evening!

That's one great looking bike! I'd love to have another beauty like that :D
Thanks! It's definitely growing on me. The truss rods really added to the look. I think I'm going to put the original seat back on it...I'm just not sold pn this one.

Judging by your name, you must have some experience with these bikes...have you ever seen a seatpost with a bolt and wedge setup like on a handlebar stem? I had never seen one like that...pretty cool actually. Nice, clean look without the clamp!..and then I ditched it for plumbing. LOL

To be honest, I don't have a TON of experience with them, I'm only 17, so I don't have much experience with anything lol. I own a couple, and there's just something about them that I love. That is a neat set up though! Never heard of anything like it, and it's certainly interesting! :)

I like everything about the bike except for the seat. The springs are just to huge in my opinion.
Yeah, that's where i'm at right now...it's one of those "I have it and it looks cool, but not when I put it on something"...guess it's going back on the shelf for awhile.

It needed something else...I had some barnwood scraps, so, I made a tank panel.
The old barn paint side sealed with cream wax:
any5ety2.jpg

The other side was plain...time for some painting!
5enebujy.jpg

Tried to give it an aged look with the paint, then, with a little sanding when it dries, I should complete the look.

Nice work, that is awesome for a Hiawatha bike!

Luke.
Thanks! I figured I'd give it a shot...give the left side of the bike something interesting to look at.

Here it is after a bit of sanding and the sealer:
ababyha9.jpg

I love doing faux aged painting! I didn't think I nailed the chin...boom! Sand it off! The red in the headdress was a bit too sharp...sand it off!
I am reasonably happy with the results. Now I just have to figure out what type of fasteners to use to hang it on the bike.
Thanks for looking :)

Got my tires today, but I didn't get time to mount them until just now.
gupamuza.jpg

Love these! Very close pattern to the originals. Nice solid center line and a high profile...should roll along nicely!
They're a Kenda 26 x 1.75 in a Sunlite package. Got them on amazon for about $14ea shipped

Love those tractor treads!

Luke.
They're perfect for this one :)
It's funny, when I was looking through the pics, I was thinking it was starting to take on kind of a tractor-ish vibe...then you commented on the tires. LOL

I really like how your bike turned out. Usually I don't care for tank inserts but yours looks really good with the graphic on one side and the distressing on both.

I really like how your bike turned out. Usually I don't care for tank inserts but yours looks really good with the graphic on one side and the distressing on both.
Thank you. I don't normally like them either, I've only done it one other time, but it seemed right on this one.

It's been awhile, but I got a rack off of a frame that I am using for the Build Off, a nicer seat and some army bags...had to put them to use.
The rack is off of a Monarch...nice color match:

Had to lose the taillight, but that will work nicely for my BO10 project.
Here it is with the new seat, the rack and the saddle bags:

That rear reflector was also from the Monarch.
Just need to true up the rear wheel a bit more, and this one's ready for adventure!

Latest posts

Back