Hi!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10927e43263a4baf3bc17b17018ccefa.jpg

Greetings HPL, you've come to the right place.

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing the end of that sentence...
Old-European-road-bikes -
Like road bikes from old Europe; or
bikes for old roads in Europe; or
old-bikes for European roads.
Perhaps road bikes for Old Europeans.
Welcome aboard. There a a lot of variety within many of our collections.
Welcome to RRB!

Looking forward to seeing some of your ye'olde european road going bicycles :thumbsup:.

Jason
Thank you all for a warm welcome. Doing healthcare work so thanks on many levels.
Well I don't thinks my bikes are from Old Europe; but probably fall into old bikes from Europe that can ride on old European roads, and have probably been ridden by older Europeans. Pretty much from the '30s to '80s are my main areas of interest and ownership. I think I have one older US made fat tire bike (though I grew up riding them), but year and type are unknown; per chance someone here will be able to help ID it.
As far as the customizing, I may do it for others, but generally not for myself as I tend to keep things original if possible. My "customizing" is generally for performance purposes, or the specific needs of the end user (me!). I enjoy building and giving bikes away; great feeling on for the recipient and myself.

HPL
Ride Fast, Be Safe

Last edited:
Where are you located? Just curious because I know a few guys that have BIG collections of European road bikes from the 70s-90s.

Where are you located? Just curious because I know a few guys that have BIG collections of European road bikes from the 70s-90s.
Hi Grant,
I'm in Florida, I'm sure there's some vintage European bike riders in my area, but so far I seem to be one of the few riding and building them, at least on a serious level. Most people riding them are in the Miami, Orlando, and Tampa areas; but seemingly more as a status symbol thing than as an enthusiast; much knowledge except it's "made in ..." remarks. There certainly a fair amount of racers both road and gravel on newer bikes. It would be nice to have a dedicated L'eroica event around my area. Plenty of decent roads paved and packed dirt to do one on. As I normally ride a mid eighties bike as a trainer, I would love to participate in a "friendly" ride with like minded folks.

Hi Grant,
I'm in Florida, I'm sure there's some vintage European bike riders in my area, but so far I seem to be one of the few riding and building them, at least on a serious level. Most people riding them are in the Miami, Orlando, and Tampa areas; but seemingly more as a status symbol thing than as an enthusiast; much knowledge except it's "made in ..." remarks. There certainly a fair amount of racers both road and gravel on newer bikes. It would be nice to have a dedicated L'eroica event around my area. Plenty of decent roads paved and packed dirt to do one on. As I normally ride a mid eighties bike as a trainer, I would love to participate in a "friendly" ride with like minded folks.
There are 5 guys in the same shop I work at that are SERIOUS about this. The 2 top bikes are personal bikes of theirs and the bottom ones are for sale.
20190529_182125.jpg

20190529_182830.jpg

20190529_182746.jpg

DSC01069.JPG

DSC00232.JPG

DSC00067.JPG

I do not own a European bike , but I one of the few in Florida .
They had one for a few years in Grand Junction, CO that was a revival of an old race from there to Glenwood Springs called The Midland Rail. I did it a couple of years on my Austro Daimler.
Hey Sandman, an older American or Japanese bike is fine; essentially road bikes prior to 1988 manufacture. Unfortunately, I just stripped/parted out an early 80s TREK, killer bike but a bit too big.
Karate Chicken, seems like there are a lot more events (of all types) out west, wish if I had some family or friends to give me a reason to travel out there, never mind the breweries as you saw on my helmet. Oskar Blues has a great reputation on the east coast, plus backing the "American Outlaws" fan base.

Oskar Blues has a great reputation on the east coast, plus backing the "American Outlaws" fan base.
Dale is a bit of a motorhead and has a huge collection of cars. The Outlaws connection is from Chad Melis, who worked for OB for quite a few years. Chad's extended family has been racing Sprint cars out of WI for a few generations. Chad used to race MTBs at the professional level. He's a Natural on two wheels and quite humble about it.

Dale is a bit of a motorhead and has a huge collection of cars. The Outlaws connection is from Chad Melis, who worked for OB for quite a few years. Chad's extended family has been racing Sprint cars out of WI for a few generations. Chad used to race MTBs at the professional level. He's a Natural on two wheels and quite humble about it.
Thanks for some of the background. I only know I like the beer, Dale's Pale ale, and Old Chub are favorites.

Latest posts

Back