Hey, I'm back! I mean, Ow, my back!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
It's been a while but I thought I'd update the RRB crew. I found out I have a bad back.
5821628127_9d6fc54450_z.jpg

a combination of genes and years of abuse in the form of working at a computer, poor sleep habits, and riding bicycles (yes even riding bikes) has led to my current condition (scoliosis and degenerated and herniated discs, resulting in a pinched sciatic nerve). I've been seeing a chiropractor 3 times a week and the pinched nerve is mostly better, and the feeling has returned to my left foot. I still feel stiffness and soreness and I have to take it easy on my back in every activity i do now. Consequently I haven't been on a bike in months. In fact my doctor expressly forbids me to ride anything that doesn't have an extremely upright riding position. I am going to be giving away my road, mountain, and hybrid bikes to anyone who wants them. I have no use for them anymore. I am however looking to buy a brand new cruiser, something modern and lightweight with easy gearing but hopefully still full of rat rod style. Recommendations from the RRB crew?

Im no X-Ray tech or Doctor...but...

Your spine looks like a rusty crusty battleship chain.

Geeeezzz,Joey I thought you didn't like us. Good to hear from you,too bad about the back :(
I was holding a lighted bike for you but finally sold it. (didn't work anyway).
Well, hopefully you will show up at the next swap (Dudley 6/24). Take care,huh?...Stevil

Joe,You aint gotta tell me about back pain...

I am 50 years old and on SS now from heavy lifting my whole life.I live every day with back pain.(like I got whacked in the back with an ax)

Im beat up but Im NOT beat down.

It sucks out loud.I'd much rather be working back at the old job.

Wow, bum luck man !!! Glad to see ya back around though joey !!!

Im still smiling from buying my townie, only electra ive got but im sure the others woud be a comparable ride.

I can relate Joey. I have kyphosis, similar to your scoliosis only my spine is bending forward. Take care of yourself. Gary

JoeyMac said:
I am however looking to buy a brand new cruiser, something modern and lightweight with easy gearing but hopefully still full of rat rod style. Recommendations from the RRB crew?

Spaceliner with apes and a Nexus? There's a build-off a-happenin' :wink:

Sorry to hear about your back. Hope it improves.

They treated my bad discs with an injection of cortisone. They waited until I retired from the military to do that. I was almost shorted with a medical discharge after 19 and a half years. I lived on motrin for 8 years, active duty was tough. I could only ride my hybrid Diamondback Edge back then. Now i don't even need injections.

Sell those other bikes you have to finance your next bike.

Joey, GLAD you're back! When you left last year, I muttered to myself: "Kid has no backbone". SO I apologize!...Don't be sending anyone to "break" my knees, left one is already titanium and right one soon to be.........Seriously, CCR is right on the money. I bought two Electra Townies (21D), for my wife and I, both white. BEST money I've ever spent. My son liked it so much he bought one in flat black....OR you can get your Doctor to write a prescription for these:
006-15.jpg

If you want a pair, I'll give you a pair for FREE, Bristol is not to far from me and I'll even DELIVER them..........Good to have you back and good luck on your treatment!

I thought you joined the Circus du Monde, nice to hear your back but I'm sorry about your back problems. The x-ray kinda sorta looks more like an old mooring mooring chain. Don't let this bring you down, you got to keep moving or they'll throw dirt over you.
I have this problem that started years ago, I couldn't stand on my toe's to reach the Cherrios over the fridge, no use of my right leg.
My latest was the lower neck that effects my left arm. I had to give up road bikes so I moved onto these.
Untitled%2000m%2005s.jpg

this one was faster
Dave_Meridian03.jpg

...better on your back but i'm still riding swingbikes, tallbikes, and cruisers just the same. Hope you can still ride.

Graylock

Looks nasty, full suspension and/or a nice highly sprung leather saddle required I too have back problem(s) - ankylosing spondylitis, Athritis and 2 fused vertebrae just for good measure

Lets hope thay can sort you out

electra townies are great bikes for people with health problems. I have a 2011 townie (21 sp) in flat black. very easy to ride and very adaptable

Joey....Electra Townie 21D. Comes in a bunch-o-colors. My wife chose WHITE, and of course we had to match. :roll: (I actually like the white)..I put the "Old Guy" seat on, red pedals, little red ding-ding, and the cutsie bandana....I love it, ride it about 3-4 times a week.

001-52.jpg

yeah i recommed a comfort bike....like that townie....i have a haro heartland and really like it.
picture-281.png

be sure to read up on sciatic probs, they are weird, need special attention and can cause some real damage if ignored. I have had it bugging me on and off for years, whenever I get lazy it reminds me... :x

I've had lower back problems for half my life (25 years)

Now its upper left back/arm.

Ever since the fattest/heaviest cop gave me a flying elbow drop as I was getting cuffed and stuffed by his buddy in blue back in December.

(that gun barrel in my face looked like a cannon)

They put up a good fight tho.

Joey!!! I've been wondering where you took off for months now!! Sorry to hear about your back. Tall ape hanger handlebars is a great medicine though. Get well my friend!

Good to hear from you. Sorry to hear about your back. Geez I guess bikes aren't the only common bond here. I've got lower back problems that have affected riding but more importantly sleeping. I'm too much of an idiot to get anything done about it and choose to be miserable instead. I'm slowly convincing myself comfort bikes aren't that uncool.
"old ratrod bikers don't die... they just start riding comfort bikes"

Latest posts

Back