? help with rear freewheel chg on a Dolomite

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a Mongoose Dolomite for a play/workout snow bike...after adjusting everything on it and riding it about 60 miles I do think I MAY need a bigger cog in the rear...has anyone done this swap ?? If so couple questions
1) will I need a new chain ?

2) can I use the same rear deaulier I have on the bike now ?

3) is the Shimano Megarange the correct 34 tooth freewheel to use or is there a better one..

Thank you

Great thx...it sure looks like the chain will be too short but ill take you word for it....the rear cogs are fine for this time of year but im afraid when its snow im riding in it will be different...how much psi do you guys run in snow for a 140 pound guy ??...thx again

If your serious about doing a lot of snow riding, you may want to get some different tires. The sidewalls are pretty stiff on the stock tires, and you may not weigh enough to really squish them down. Im about 230lbs and run 7psi in deep snow. Thats with Devist8rs...

humm...I really dont want to put a ton of money into this>>I only bought it to see IF I liked the fat bike,,,then I figured if I do ill buy a good/better quality one...Ive ridden it about 70 miles...I did 20 on it this morning..avg speed 14.5 mph...no where near the speed of my hybrid or road bike and I understand that...
its a workout for sure...im running 18psi in the tires now on the trail..hard packed small gravel...this bike is heavy....I dont have clip pedals on this either...kI figure if I chg the rear freewheel,pedals,seat,tires/tubes....ill have almost in it what a good one would cost ?
Am I thinking wrong ?

Did the math just now and, at least in my list, you get about $30 short of what you could get in a Bikes Direct FB 4 Elite ($895 w/ free ship), and that also with Shimano hydraulic brakes, cranks, BB, trigger shifters, front and rear derailleur and 120 tpi Vee Rub V-8's, same stock rims though. I didn't do that mod part list based on weight savings, though, and realistically don't think I'll end with a bike weighing at even 10 Lb less than the original 50 Lbs. BD bikes claim to be 38'ish. The Dolomite's fixed, non replaceable derailleur hanger comes to mind brightly too.

I figured if I added the clip pedals,different grips,freewheel,chain ( if needed), seat... that would add about 160.00.....thats IF I can use these tires....so then I would have about 410.00 into it...

Change the freewheel and leave the rest alone. If you love it, then buy a better bike with the upgrade money. If you hate it, keep it as a loaner, or sell it.

Good advise...I would have thought that SOMEONE here has done the freewheel chg but noone responded to my other post saying they did ???

That's what I thought, and bought the FB4 Comp 699.00 version - back when the Dolos were $350.00 and not coming down in price. Much better bike IMHO. The difference in wheel/tire weight was substantial. (I've owned 2 Beasts). Less Rotating Mass means a lot less exercise.

Good advise...I would have thought that SOMEONE here has done the freewheel chg but noone responded to my other post saying they did ???

I did the freewheel swap on my boys Massif and it made the difference between him walking and riding up alot of hills...

Going with a bigger freewheel may mean you will need to add a link or two to the chain. The der should be able to handle the larger freewheel.

Latest posts

Back