Help with a leather tool bag

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to make vintage-style leather tool bag, but I can't seem to find good enough pictures to understand how the straps work. Can anybody help me out by sending/posting a picture of the backside of their vintage tool bag? If you have an old beat up tool bag sitting around, we can also look into trading an old bag for a new one, or I cant pay to rent yours and ship it back, hahaha. This bag will be made at a horse saddle shop with over 70 yrs combined experience, so it will be a great product! Thanks for any help!

Measurements wold help too! I have a brooks saddle, so I know the strap width.

here's what I'm looking for.... or similar
Bike+Velorbis+Brooks+seat+and+tool+bag.jpg

There is NO reason why this should be a $100-150 product! makes me sick. $20 (probably more like $5) worth of leather and an hrs work, c'mon! We will make it for under $50

A friend of mine made this one...his own design.

9913323.jpg

The two straps on the top of the bag are attached to the bolts that hold the upper and lower seat pans together. It's fairly simple, actually. Not to dispute what you're saying, but there is way more than an hour invested in the time it took to make this. Wayne wanted $50.00, and I gave him $60.00. Well worth it. I know personally the man who made it, and there is not one other like it.

I got one on the bottom of the down tubes of my Harley 'Strictly Business'

Any good motorcycle shop has them.

Cool project. I have repurposed some military pouches into saddle bags. I used the same technique. Cut slits in the bag the width of the loops on the saddle. You will need two toe straps or similar straps and a dowel or small stick of wood. Place the stick inside the bag then fasten with the straps starting on the inside. Up through slit then through the saddle loops and back through the slit , around the dowel .

Here is my original inspiration. I found one of these Swedish gas mask bags and made my own.
http://www.outyourbackdoor.com/article.php?id=1245

bag.stick.inner.b.med.jpg

I have seen double horizontal slits, one above the other on each side for the individual straps to weave through and up to the hangers. This is good and strong, but unless very closely fit will possibly allow some rain to seep in. There is also the rivet, just be sure to back up reinforce it with another leather patch inside. I have done some leather work too, and know what you mean, if you get a good prototype and can pattern the pieces it can go pretty quick; the first good one is the time taker.
BTW, be sure not to try to use too thick a leather, early stuff was thinner than we often think of today, even for motorcycle or holster work.
Hope you make this a go!

55ColumbiaBuilt said:
Not to dispute what you're saying, but there is way more than an hour invested in the time it took to make this. Wayne wanted $50.00, and I gave him $60.00. Well worth it. I know personally the man who made it, and there is not one other like it.

That's a great bag. There is a lot of detail work, probably handwork, in that bag and it's definitely worth alot. I agree though that the very simple, primarily machine made, bag from Brooks is overpriced. It has that magic word on it though!! :lol: I love the army-navy store bags also.

Jesse,

The straps are approx 1/2 inch wide, and they are 6 1/2 inches on center. Measure your seat bag mounts to see if it fits.
I don't use the strap shown inside the bag, but if you have triple tree forks like a motorcycle that would work (I think).

I have mine on the handle bars of our hybrids, since the seat is not made to strap on a bag very well.

I wanted a bag about 11- 12 inches wide to carry the little air pump. There are smaller ones as you can see.

I carry a bike tool, tire levers, a spare tube and the pump. also slip my cell phone in there.
we ride enough distance with the road bike crowd that the ability to change a flat can save a lot of walking.
(don't ask me how I came to this conclusion!) :shock:

The bag itself is very well made, heavy thick leather, quality+.

google for motorcycle tool bags, these are the ones that the MC guys strap to their forks under the headlight.
You will find lots of options.

I know you want to make your own, but thought you might at least be interested in this one and some of the other designs for inspiration.

BTW: I totally agree with all of the reviews on this bag on the web site.

Happy ThanksGiving to you and yours!

Latest posts

Back