Help! Mystery mountain bike...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Went to pick up a Specialized Hardrock from a guy today, and picked this up too. It's probably somebody's frankenbike project, but I'd like to know as much as I can about it.

The weird thing is that it has some decent components, like an Alivio rear derailleur, but the wheels are stamped Huffy? At first I thought high end of the department store bike scale, but it is just a weird mix of parts. It has the thickest dropouts I have ever seen on a bicycle, bigger than most motorcycles. The front fork has been painted over, but that cannot hide the fact that it is an SR DuoTrack 7006 "suspension" fork, with about 1" of travel, if you run it straight into a curb. Absolutely no other ID markings on the bike.

Anybody recognize it as something they once owned, or *gasp* something special?

Pics:

wtf01.jpg

wtf02.jpg

wtf03.jpg

wtf04.jpg

wtf05.jpg

wtf06.jpg

wtf07.jpg

wtf08.jpg

it's aluminum, that's why it has such thick dropouts - maybe it's a higher end Huffy aluminum frame MTB with alloy wheels that someone removed the decals from? Like an Ironman Pro or something like that?

Would any Huffy have ever had Alivio components on it? I have had bikes that were over $1000 new that had Alivio components on them.

Edit: scratch that, I was thinking Deore. I have had $500 bikes with Alivio though, which seems steep for a Huffy. I think the wheels are transplants.

Who knows - those rims are definitely Huffy, though. Maybe those are replacement rims put on a nicer bike.

I think Alivio are lower end components - maybe it was an entry level MTB from Giant, Trek, etc.

great find. I'd keep it just as is, and perhaps have repro decals made for it.

Latest posts

Back