Help me out with my Worksman headset

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm rebuilding my Worksman that was posted here a few years back and am running into headset issues. I purchased a 32.5mm BMX styled headset from https://porkchopbmx.com/headsets-and-spacers/1-threaded-headsets/ only to realize like someone in another thread experienced that the cups slide right into the headtube, meaning that my 32.5mm headset won't work (it works, the cups just fit in loosely into the headtube which worries me). So here's my list of questions:

1. I'm wondering what my options are. Is it safe to say that I should be looking for 32.7mm cups?

2. Can I run the the 32.5mm loose? I noticed when I tightened the adjustable race really tight they cups seem to not move.

3. Is there any kind of 32.5 to 32.7mm shim available? (If 32.7mm is the correct cup size) - I'd like to keep my headset if possible to avoid spending more money and I like the anodized look I have with the headset I already purchased.

4. Would something like this work since they're 32.7mm ? https://porkchopbmx.com/tange-mx320...ycle-headset-1-threaded-w-32-7mm-cups-silver/

5. Will this work without shimming? https://porkchopbmx.com/tange-aw-27...-threaded-w-32-7mm-cups-chrome-made-in-japan/

Just looking for advice on best next steps since I already have the headset.

I believe the headset cups are ~33.3mm or 1+5/16” - so the 32 point something or 1+9/32” would be loose. Be sure to measure, and write down the numbers. Not sure if the pork chop site had Worksman specific headsets at one time. Worksman may sell them.

I have the loose headset cups in my 2010 Worksman INB; (thanks for reminding me).
I have also read that Wald 3-bump headset cups may be recommended.
One may carefully make shims from an aluminum can, with a pair of scissors.

Not sure if Worksman has recently changed to use standard size parts; so what might work on one unmeasured bike, may not necessarily fit snugly into another unmeasured bike.
I have also found that the 34mm headset cups (e.g., mountain bike) are too large.

Older bikes may not have been standardized.
I believe Great Western used 35mm or 1+3/8” headset cups; Excelsior Indiana was another 33mm; older Westfield’s 31mm or 1+1/4” and older Colson lug frames 29mm or 1+5/32”.

Last edited:
You can use your worksman cups and everything else out of a (porkchop) VP-H755 headset. I can't take credit for this, the gentleman that figured it out hasn't been here for awhile. I did it once and it was fine for me.

If it's loose it will eventually ovalize the head tube. I once fixed a loose ovalized head tube with new cups, shims and JB Weld. I made the adjustment tight until the epoxy dried. So far it's lasted 3 years and it's his only bike. I also once tightened the adjustment and tack welded the cups in place.

Latest posts

Back