Help Me Guess Old Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SORRY, I do not have a pic yet. This guy has an old bike that I definitely want, but we do not know what it is, so he does not know what to charge me! I looke don oldroads, but could not find one like it yet - I'll do my best to describe - please help ID it if you can: (no namebadge on it)

Skiptooth bike 26"
Has old coke shaped grips
back drop out kind of flare out a little
Front forks have definite a curve, or "s" to them, but not springer
boys bike - top bar is curved, one under it is straight
has cool flat metal rack on back
has stabilizers that go from front hub up to outer handlebars
the tires have old chain pattern on them
springer seat
- could not find any marks on it, only had a couple minutes to peak at it...

It's super rusty, (and beautiful) and I can't stop thinking about it. The guy that has it a trader, or reseller, he'll trade me cash or whatever else I have of equal value. Thanks for your time!

Gonna be hard with out pictures. Are the forks bent though? A "S" bend in the forks may indicate that.

i know what forks your talking about ... im not 100% but i believe they came on hawthornes, not all but some. ill see if i can dig up a pic :mrgreen:

kingplinker said:
has stabilizers that go from front hub up to outer handlebars

the handlebar thing sounds pretty wild if im imagining it right. like truss rods that run out to the grip ends :?:

kingplinker said:
It's super rusty, (and beautiful) and I can't stop thinking about it.

i wouldnt let him know that. i once stumbled on a super rusty, everythings frozen solid, heck of a project but it was a full tanker with a springer that really really wanted(the perfect rat). i let it show and BAAAAM!!! he instantly thought he had me for some serious $$. the kinda thing most people would toss to the curb but once he saw how much i wanted it he shot that number right up. now i play it cool 8)

Definatley post up pics. Danimal bought a Rollfast with a fork like that. Consensus it was bent, but I remember reading about one from the factory somewhere.

I got it! it's in back of my truck - going to go take pics and stuff in a sec! He said "just take it. we'll work it out later" - so COOL! He knows I like bikes. I traded my .380 for a bicycle stand he had... yes, that's right, I gave up a firearm for a bike stand - perspectives & objectives change.. :0 -- will post soon - T>

You traded a .380 for a bikestand? He probably gave you the bike because he feels guilty. :oops: Gary

OK, OK, yes, I am a goofy head - the forks are definitely bent (my bad). I cleaned up bike, found a serial #, just happened to have a NEW skiptooth chain. Slapped on some (uncool for now) pedals & old miss-matched white-walls. I love the beefiness of the skiptooth bikes. I cut the top off an old seat and "skinned" the existing seatpan.

Maybe these pics will help ID it? Cheers, T. Fun fun fun...

skip_10.jpg

skip_01.jpg

skip_02.jpg

skip_03.jpg

skip_04.jpg

skip_05.jpg

skip_06.jpg

skip_07.jpg

skip_08.jpg

skip_09.jpg

The bike started life as a 1940 Snyder built Hawthorne. Snyder forks seem to be the weakest in the industry (or the kids that owned them were he most prone to drunk riding) and it is more likely to find Snyders with forks that are at least slightly bent than true. These aren't even in the running for worst (see Danimal)

Cool, thanks for the info - so it's either a Colson or a Snyder/Hawthorne right? I replaced forks today, so rolling better now. The truss rods actually hit the top bar if you turn super tight - my back hub needs to be de-gunked, but otherwise all OK. I turned it over to my boys to ride around on - if something is going to break - they'll find it :mrgreen:

rms37 said:
The bike started life as a 1940 Snyder built Hawthorne. Snyder forks seem to be the weakest in the industry (or the kids that owned them were he most prone to drunk riding) and it is more likely to Snyders with forks that are at least slightly bent than true. These aren't even in the running for worst (see Danimal)

i gotta totally agree here, as i thought it looked like a hawthorne, and id lean more towards hy snyder (rollfast) than i would colson, but wouldnt rule it out. great find by any means. for a second, i thought it was a westfield built. :roll:

Latest posts

Back