Help deciding on a Phantom...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks, I have a guy who wants to sell me this bike. It's a 59 Schwinn Phantom he has all the parts, tank, rims, ect. Mostly in good condition. I've got him down to $100 dollars, but I might be able to get him down to $80! Seems like a good deal to me, what do ya'll think? I might go $100 if he throws in a set of rims I was checking out for another bike I have. I'm sure I could make the $100 back parting out just a few parts, but this would really be an awesome build! All advice and comments will be greatly appreciated!

Roly...

9BC98FED-E373-40FE-A914-F80721AD13E8-2307-000001BEEA97A33A_zpscaae8ffd.jpg

613D1DD2-65C7-4C66-9FFA-B11A43DF36BB-2307-000001BF04BE4FFA_zps3b8cd601.jpg

Forks are straight, don't know why they didn't come out in the picture on here? Same patina as the rest of the bike. I'll try the picture again on this reply. Ok If you right click on it and hit view picture you'll be able to see the forks.

Roly...

9BC98FED-E373-40FE-A914-F80721AD13E8-2307-000001BEEA97A33A_zpscaae8ffd.jpg

Chainguard decal should look like the one in this pic. Springer fork has pivot bolt in the middle of the fork leg on the '59 and on the trailing edge on the older ones. The price is great regardless of whatever year it is. I was just pointing out subtle differences.

1959-phantom_zps9abb9210.jpg

Luke, I feel the same way man. This would make an awesome cruiser. Ratsphinx, thanks for the picture. The lettering is different, and so is the chain sproket. Are there two models? Phantom, and Black Phantom? The guy told me it's a 59, but man that's a long time ago and parts might have been swapped here and there. That's why this web site is so great! It's nice to have others that have the same passion for something and willing to share their knowledge!

roly...

That Phantom has the older style springer. Your bike is likely a '49-'54. Around '55 is the cutoff when they made the change to the newer style forks. $100 is a steal, and you should be arrested if you get it for that cheap. :p I have a Phantom frame for sale and I wouldn't take less than $150...for just the frame! Gary

B607 said:
That Phantom has the older style springer. Your bike is likely a '49-'54. Around '55 is the cutoff when they made the change to the newer style forks. $100 is a steal, and you should be arrested if you get it for that cheap. :p I have a Phantom frame for sale and I wouldn't take less than $150...for just the frame! Gary

I'm going for $80 Gary! You'll never catch me copper! I'm stopping by there today for the rims I wanted to buy and I might try to see if he'll go for the 80 on the bike. Then I'll have a chance to check out the serial numbers. Stay tuned.

roly...

Out here there is one guy trying to sell a parts complete with lots of rust for $1100 which is way high. A shop in sacto has one parts complete minus the rack for $500 which is a good price out here.

Picking up the bike Tuesday! I was going to get some rims for $20, so I offered him $100 for the two rims if he throws in the phantom. He said yeah so tomorrow I will start to decipher what I have. I'll post more pictures in the coming days.

roly...

That Phantom is spot on correct.... decals, color, fenders, rack, pedals, seat...even the chain ring is the proper Phantom piece.

Looks like it will clean up beautifully and you will be able to preserve the original patina. 8)

I'm on the look out for one myself and have found a wealth of information over on schwinnbikeforum.com.

Look forward to your progress!

DIABLO67 said:
Picking up the bike Tuesday! I was going to get some rims for $20, so I offered him $100 for the two rims if he throws in the phantom. He said yeah so tomorrow I will start to decipher what I have. I'll post more pictures in the coming days.
roly...
Awesome deal! Very happy for you!
Will be following the clean and rebuild with much interest!

Luke.

As promised, here are a few pictures of the Phantom. I was disheartened at first because the serial number was on the bottom bracket, and not the rear. I thought that was a sign of it being a repro. After checking on the resource page for Schwinn, I found it to be a 1951 built in Chicago. 5/28/51 to be exact! So Now I'll pack it up for the time being until a few other projects get done, then start on her. I'm thinking of keeping her just the way she is for now with the addition of a new chain and wheels. The fork is locked and I have no key so if anyone can help me with the unlocking of it that would be awesome. I'm hoping it can be rekeyed. Everything you see in the picture was bought for $100 including the two extra wheels and the sweet apehangers for another project!

25682029-BC91-4142-9BA3-EA6CFE389582-3988-000003219BD5B900_zps64df54f9.jpg

05057F0A-33D7-4659-B9D8-C1352CAF6DE1-3988-000003221F9372ED_zps1c703cdf.jpg

A 51 phantom for 80 bucks! You better wear a helmet everywhere you go for awhile.

Wildcat said:
A 51 phantom for 80 bucks! You better wear a helmet everywhere you go for awhile.

I might need to hire some bodyguards to run next to me as I ride! She's already disassembled and waiting her turn for a build! I have a friend that's a locksmith who's going to pick the lock on the fork for me so I can re-key the lock. The front headlight is missing on the fender so I just might rat this one out a little but keep the main integrity of things in case I want to restore her later on. The guy I bought it from told me he found this at the city landfill! I'm gonna have to start going there more often!

If you go on the CABE forum and look up member Wes Pinchot (I think that's his user name also) he can fix you up with a key. He's the Schwinn locking springer expert. He has keys and other parts. All you need is the number that is stamped on the tumbler where the key goes in. Gary

B607 said:
If you go on the CABE forum and look up member Wes Pinchot (I think that's his user name also) he can fix you up with a key. He's the Schwinn locking springer expert. He has keys and other parts. All you need is the number that is stamped on the tumbler where the key goes in. Gary

Thanks Gary! I'll look him up. I have a friend who's a locksmith that can pick the lock and rekey it, but it would be awesome to keep the original.

Ok, so how do I get on the CABE forum? LOL I thought it was in the resource page.

Latest posts

Back