Help building a single speed MTB 700c 29er?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Help building a single speed MTB

Ok , you need to measure the pcd in mm (pitch circle diameter , centre to centre ) most go 90 , 110 , 130 mm so on , the next thing is you can run it without the chain tensioner by using half links or using different chain rings and rear sprockets . For much info try here !!!
The bicycle guru
http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

Re: Help building a single speed MTB

OK, I'm just now thinking of something.

If you followed along at all you'd know that I'm using a frame that held 700c wheels/tires and therefore I was going to have to make a brake adapter on the rear so that the pads would reach the rim. Could I run a 29" wheel set, isn't that closet to the 700?

deorman said:
Any readily available "29""tire that I know of is made for 700c rims. :|

OK, I thought this was a fact, but needed confirmation, so this 700c frame I have can be a 29er... SWEET!.

deorman said:
Any readily available "29""tire that I know of is made for 700c rims. :|

So 700c "29er" 28inch and 27 are all the same diameter. the ISO number to fallow is 622mm. Its akways important to look at this number sometimes 27 inch can be 650 a or b also 26inch comes in to sizes 559mm or 590mm Sorry just stupid "knowledge" :oops:
And not all 700c frames will take a "29" some time there geometry just wont let u stuf one inside. Good luck on the build

Skrufryder said:
So 700c "29er" 28inch and 27 are all the same diameter. the ISO number to fallow is 622mm. Its akways important to look at this number sometimes 27 inch can be 650 a or b also 26inch comes in to sizes 559mm or 590mm Sorry just stupid "knowledge" :oops:
And not all 700c frames will take a "29" some time there geometry just wont let u stuf one inside. Good luck on the build

Thanks for this info. My friend has a 29er and before I find a set of wheels I'll see if his fits, I would only be doing this so I can make the rear brake situation easier.

OK, on my gear ratio, I have been very happy pedaling my bike at 34/18, the problem is, the only crank I have to use is 110bcd and 34 is the smallest you can go on that. There is a Shimano Ultegra 34 110 I can get for about $15, but do I have other options in gearing that will equal the same ratio. Like if I go up to a 36 I have alot more options, but what would I need to go to on the rear 20? 22? Thanks.

Skrufryder said:
Hey I was lookinf around for some new tires for my rig and I seen these and thought you might go this route if you couldnt stick a big 29er in the frame. They might be cyclocross tires but,These got lots of nubs on them! http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires ... lph_425_cx

They look cool, but how many do you get for that price? :shock:

Skrufryder said:
Maybe see what ur local shop has, they might be on sale cylce cross season starts about now

My local store has nothing in stock... literally. Yes, they are open, but they have NOTHING.

Skrufryder said:
Any Luck on your wheel set? hows the 76er?

Nothing on 29s, for now I'm just concentrating on the 26" Arayas. Just ordered a 34t 110bcd chainring and another 18t freewheel. 76er is resting nicely in the shop, lately when I "cruise" it's easier to get on the tall bike then to dig out my 76er or the 1950 Columbia.

OK, started assembly, this Trek frame is not going to work, or it could, but not worth my trouble. Anyone wanna buy it?

So I'm going really old school, old Schwinn mountain bike, fully rigid, cromoly, canti brakes... wait... I've got 2 Schwinns that fit that description, ugh, anyway, I will build one of them, dial it in and possibly give it to my friend. haha (I just bought a rigid SS 29er)

Latest posts

Back