Hello from wny

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been lurking for a couple of weeks now, looking on craigslist for a suitable bike, or frame for a klunker build, to buy and haven't found anything yet.

In the meantime I'm considering purchasing a Sun RevMX, any opinions?

I did find this Shelby Flyer

Attachments

• 01111_i1qIlI06Cw2_1200x900.jpg
    01111_i1qIlI06Cw2_1200x900.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 88
Thanks for the welcome!

I haven't seen the shelby in person, and yet the purchase, would you know what I should expect to pay for it?
I am told it's a "41"

I saw the ad asking $225. That depends on you. As for reselling it for a profit, probably not a good deal. The frame is the only thing Shelby, the forks and everything else could have come off a beach cruiser, but might be in good shape. A lot depends on seeing it and checking it out. It looks good to me.

However, if it was me and I didn't have a bike, this would beat anything else at the bike shop for price. If the wheels rolled straight and everything was in order, then I might spring for a couple hundred. I'd start at $150 and barter up.

As for year the frame looks like prewar, but I don't know a whole lot about dating Shelbys.

As for the Sun RevMX...looks pretty cool, if you are looking at buying it new at or near MSRP...the WTP Avenger has way better components, and at least one chromo bar on the frame (downtube), and Dan's has it for a great price...

WTP Avenger

bike-wtp-avenger-blue.jpg

There is also the GBP Red Menace...its a sweet ride as well, but currently more bucks than the above Avenger.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Thanks Rusty,
That's just the feedback I'm looking for.
I can by the revmx at lbs for $350 + tax= $380.
The avenger looks really nice but would be $540.
Worth the $160 difference?

It would be to me...but, it depends on what you are planning to do with it. If you just want a cool cruiser, the Sun is fine. If you want something that you will be riding in anger/aggressively...I'd go with the WTP.

Or, you could just pick up something like that Shelby and upgrade the components as you discover what you do and don't like. It may end up being the more spendy route in the long run...but it will be cool, unique and tailor made for you :grin:.

If you want a real clone then skip the Shelby with the cantilever frame. Look for a rainbow, straight bar or other non cantilever frame. Don’t get a CWC frame with the curved chain stays as the chain will rub on the bottom of the stay with single speed dirt gearing. You can buy Araya rims or wheels on eBay. The rest of the parts are available new or easily available used. You can even buy a new drum brake front hub. Strumy Archer doesn’t recommend their front hub for dirt but it is a real bonus over just a rear coaster brake. Almost all these old frames are small, which requires a high seat post made from a cold rolled bar or aircraft grade aluminum alloy, otherwise it will bend. Some old frames have a lower bottom bracket than others and you get a lot of pedal strikes. Most old frames seem to have a high enough bottom bracket.

It would be to me...but, it depends on what you are planning to do with it.
That's always primary, what are you going to use it for? Cruising in a flat area, one could ride just about anything. If you plan on dealing on it, there are other factors to consider. Terrain, Rider Weight and Anticipated Speeds that go beyond a flat terrain cruiser require more dependable frames and components.

The 26" BMX I am building up right now has a wheelset that some may pooh-pooh, but it's exactly what I want to enable me to deal at speed on a paved pump track, or even a BMX race course. The rims are not the usual vintage or vintage styled box rims, but are double wall disc wheel MTB. The coaster brake hub is not the best or vintage, but it will work to trim the bike at speed when it's needed.

I just checked out the sun revMX... I'm a little surprised it's a 27.5" and not 26.

Aaaaannnd shoot! I shouldn't have searched 27.5 BMX. Just learned that Haro teamed up with Steve Caballero (apparently he's an artist now?) to make the Haro Cab. Another bike for my "want" list.:headbang:
2020_STEVE_CAB_BIKE.600.jpg

For those not in the know, Cab now:
images (1).jpeg

Cab then:
903d43ab43492085bfd35fcec7f7d7e5.jpg

First skateboarder with a pro shoe model. I had his dragon board with a set of Indys and some Bullet 66 Speed wheels waaaaaaay back in the day. He's still ripping it up in the Masters class skateboarding better in his golden years than I ever could when I was dreaming of being him... I wonder if he ever found Animal Chin...

Latest posts

Back