Hello! Building a bike again...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Central New York State near the Erie Canal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just rediscovered this site and joined. I like the variety of bikes posted here and all seem to be welcomed. I've been modifying bikes and have built some modest customs. I bought the Ashtabula at a flea market for $18. It was sold as a Beach Bike but I wonder if Ashtabula had intentions of making a motocross bike. About that time in the 80's BMXers were outgrowing the 20" bikes.
Anyway I bought this bike and it was the best riding bike I ever rode. I started modifying it bit by bit and today it has a set of Sturmey Archer brake hubs (and 3 speeds. Lower sprocket ratios for low gearing. This bike has been ridden thru sand deep enough to cover the tire and rim, mud so wet annnd thick it clumped up and shaved off the tire as it passed thru the frame. It is a true off road bike but with the 3 speeds can be ridden normally on the street.

This Murray was my attempt to create another Ashatabula. It has center pull brakes. It succeeded in all ways except the steering is not raked as much so its not as smooth riding.

A couple years ago I put this SmallTall together. It rode very nicely - just don't push on the pedal too hard or it will dump you of the back!

Years ago I built a chopper out of an Iverson Lady Dragstripper. This was before I had a digital camera so this photo is all I have but it has a complete description.

Next on the workbench is this Unknown bike - possibly a Western Flyer MX??? Is it made by Murray? The serial number starts with M07. I will follow up with a post in the Build-Off.

The Ashtabula has an unusual frame but its best feature is the steering angle, I think, which gives it a very stable comfortable ride.
I have to say that I am impressed with this forum. It's very active - I can't keep up with all the new posts every day. Trying to get to know all of you. I've already seen so many bikes and parts I've never heard of. Reading about all the different bikes and ways to build them has me thinking about what's next. I have two Schwinns in the loft with two speed hubs. There is a frame I've always wanted to use but haven't come up with a way to use it. Just an ordinary straight tubed ten speed frame, some cheap American made bike.
I will have to try to keep an eye out for bikes and parts, my parts selection is getting low!
Regards
Al

Cool stuff, I particularly like the "small Tall" - i have done a couple of similar ones- or as i say, tall bikes for people who are afraid of heights... how did you do that looooong neck stem?

I like the chopper a lot as well!

I cut the stem and brazed in a piece of bike frame tubing. I think the long bolt may have been threaded rod with a nut brazed on top as a bolt head. It was a great bike.
I'd like to try to make another chopper. Very nice riding bike. I will try to find the other photos of that bike.

Nice!
Gotta love that western flyerMX or whatever it is! the rear drop-out plates are amazing and that springer! wow!

If you were to cut it, though i am *not* suggesting that, One straight forward mod would be cutting it right behind the seat post and bottom bracket and moving straight back... keeping all the cool existing lines. Dig that bike!

Latest posts

Back