Heavyweight build "FATBOB" CHANGES!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ok, bit of a mix up this one, is it a lowrider, chopper, musclebike? I am not really sure... Let me know... What I am sure of is that it will have single sided hubs front and rear, 16 inch car rims and Motorbike tires.

Planning on making the hubs from 3 piece bottom brackets. (More on this later!) The wheels have been narrowed to 4 inches wide on the front with a 140/90 metzler and widened to 9 inches wide with a 240/50 metzler on the rear. (Sorry no photo's on the wheel customisation. :? ) Hubcaps are 14 inch Cadillac recessed into the rims.

This photo is the mock up board drawn up to help with angles, distances etc. but should give you an idea of what it will look like when done.

More to follow...

Re: Single sided stay/forks lowrider? chopper? muscle?

Got another pic for you, might be easier to see what's going on...

Sorry about the low rent picture, only have old style paint paint program to use...

Bike drawn in paint program by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

All measurements are in metric (millimeters) basically it has a 87in wheelbase, 47in to the top of the bars and the same again from the rear hub to the bars.

This is a rough sketch of the single sided stay and fork hub idea, using 3 piece crank bottom brackets. I am open to comments... Anyone ever tried this?

Most bottom brackets come with 16mm (5/8inch) high tensile shafts, I have tried jumping up and down on the crank arms with the bike laid flat on the ground and cant get any movement/bending in the shaft, simply thinking of cutting the crank arm off the boss and welding on the wheel mount to one side and the disc brake mount and freewheel mount on the other boss. This will allow me to weld with the bosses removed from the shaft and away from the bearings, also making the whole assembly servicable just like a normal bottom bracket. The main weight of the wheel will be centred over the near side bearing by curving the stay into the wheel backspace, this is to limit any bending forces on the shaft, so I feel fairly confident that it should work.

Please feel free to comment! I am interested in your advice and ideas!

DSC00108 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Ok, got some metal work done!

Started on the curves for the frame, each curve has 11 pie cuts taken out to give it a nice gradual look, when welded it should look really nice, hopefully...

DSCN2242 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

DSCN2243 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Also got together everything I think needed to start on the 3 piece hub idea, hoping to start tomorrow, depending on my pain and energy levels. (Combination chronic illness and other problems from being hit by a car as a young bloke.)

DSCN2244 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

More to come, hopefully start welding tomorrow...

Hey RatSphinx. Thats a 1940's British Austin truck that I am very slowly building into a rat rod to carry my bikes. Sitting in front of it is the front end of a Landrover series 2a that I stripped for another project that is now defunct. Hope to get back to the Austin soon, just gotta finish this bike and 2 others first. Hot rod regulations are pretty strict here in Australia, got pretty frustrated with the rules so taking a break by going back to bikes for a bit...

Any thoughts on the three piece hub idea?

Started on the rear hub today. The hub now appears more than solid enough to hold the weight, if anything does let go, it will be the axle, but feeling fairly confident it should be fine. Tip for anyone trying this- dont weld too much at one time or you could shrink the square taper on your hub boss.

DSCN2245 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Hardest part of the whole hub build was finding the right rim to strip the freewheel mount off, destroyed a couple of otherwise good rims only to find they were too small once disassembled. The freewheel mount that ended up fitting was actually off a cheap chinese mountain bike I got for free a few weeks back, 32mm (inch and 1/4) press fit hub... Still had to grind the crank boss down slightly but nice fit in the end, added a couple of tack welds to stop it moving, I will clean up the spoke holes etc. when I decide on which brake disc set up to get, as it may end up welding straight to the flange.

DSCN2246 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Had to do a test fit on the rear rim! Turns out the rim offset will need changing to allow the chain to clear the rim, thought this might happen... Easy fix. Laid my chain whip across the rim to see how much it needs to move.

DSCN2247 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Stay tuned, more to come...

Had a thought, thinking of maybe spacing the freewheel side out the 25mm (1 inch) needed by welding in a piece of pipe between the hub boss and the freewheel, rather than moving the entire hub out. That would keep the hub bearings more central in the wheel to lessen the bending forces on the axle...

The forces on the drive side are far less and should be no problem for the spaced out hub boss.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Look what arrived in the mail...

DSC00111 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

This will be the suspension on the front single sided springer. It measures 270mm (11 inches) eye to eye. I believe these are normally used for the rear suspension (in pairs) on small quad bikes.

I actually bought a pair (they were pretty cheap) as I did not know how strong the springs would be, they are just about right on to use one by itself on a front fork... Guess I now have a spare for the next project!

Luke.

Not doing anything on the bike this weekend, got a local car show I will be attending... Got some pics from today...

FILE0037 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

FILE0039 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Back on the bike early next week, stay tuned...

Luke.

Got some more photos from today at the car show.

The first 3 show a great lessen in routing of fuel lines, the driver managed to flame up the tires, but the flames then burnt there way into the methonol fuel lines, with spectacular results...

DSCN2339 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

DSCN2338 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

DSCN2341 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

A nice RatRod truck, mopar powered...

DSCN2307 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

And a nice local Falcon ute, doing a beautiful burnout...

DSCN2333 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Yes we get those multi-coloured burnout tires over here too!

DSCN2324 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Been a good weekend so far, but cant wait to get back on the bikes!

:?: Can someone please tell me what kind of bike I am building here? Is it a Lowrider? Chopper? Muscle bike? Stretch? Or is it just a Freak? :?:

Don't know what to label it, but I like it and want to see more of the build.

Got some tack welding done, and bent up the crank cradle (for want of a better name...)

DSCN2366 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Thats right! No jackshaft in use here, going full width bottom bracket! I have no idea what it will be like to ride, but then again, the same could be said for the whole bike... I am after all a fairly big boy, (195cm-6foot 5 inches, 105kg-230lbs) So think I can adjust my rather lengthy legs to suit.

Put some videos up on youtube from the car show on the weekend, check out http://youtu.be/uvCQyF4GLAo There are other videos are listed on the same channel.

Latest posts

Back