Heavy Metal Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Heavy Metal updated 5-16

Beauty bike! Looks pretty much done?????

Re: Heavy Metal updated 5-16

I'd like to find some white rims with a red pin stripe. I'd settle for just a front rim to go with the white on the frame. I may make a few more changes before the build off ends.
Kenny

Re: Heavy Metal updated 5-22

Switching over to painted rims. This is what the rear rim is going to be painted like.
Kenny
rear-rim.jpg

img_3124.jpg

Re: Heavy Metal updated 5-23

Both rims are painted, hopefully I'll get them laced this weekend.
Kenny
img_3125.jpg

We were big Davey fans, it's a shame his life was so short.
Kenny

Re: Heavy Metal updated 5-24

Front wheel is done except for final truing. I should get it back on the bike tomorrow. Then I'll jump on the back wheel build up.
Kenny
I seen this trick on the forum, so I decided to give it a shot. Tape all the spokes together with electrical tape, so nothing changes while the nipples are removed.
img_3121.jpg

img_3126.jpg

To prevent scratching the paint on the rim, I put shrink tubing on the tips of the spokes.
img_3127.jpg

Rim turned out great. If you don't know how to lace a rim the spoke taping works great. But if you can lace a rim, I feel the lacing is quicker by the time I put shrink tubing on the spoke tips, and got all the spokes started in the rim
img_3128.jpg

img_3129.jpg

img_3130.jpg

love the rim paint! will probably use the tape thing ! ty

Troy

Troy, I didn't want the bright white you see today. I wanted an off white color. The paint I used is Rust-Oleum appliance epoxy. The color is Biscuit. Great paint and it was about $5.00 a can at Lowes. The only drawback is it takes 24 hrs. to fully dry.
Kenny

Finished truing wheel and back on the bike. Tonight the rear wheel comes apart.
Steve I'm glad you read my post on using the tape, I was going to pm it to you when I read your build and seen you haven't laced a wheel from scratch yet.
Kenny
img_3131.jpg

img_3135.jpg

img_3137.jpg

Rear rim is ready for final truing.
Kenny
img_3138.jpg

Re: Heavy Metal updated 5-26

Rear wheel has been trued, and back on Heavy Metal.
Kenny
img_3148.jpg

My son Phil took Heavy Metal for a spirited ride. I wanted to see what the rear wheel looked like in motion, it's different.
img_3144.jpg

img_3145.jpg

img_3146.jpg

img_3155.jpg

img_3149.jpg

Using a Musselman air cooled hub.
img_3150.jpg

img_3151.jpg

Re: Heavy Metal updated 5-26 painted rims

Are you done yet?

Figured it had to be one of you other VB guys that beat me to the license plate. Bike is looking killer! Good to know that there is someone local who can maybe walk me through lacing a rim when I'm ready to try it.

kim_dude said:
Figured it had to be one of you other VB guys that beat me to the license plate. Bike is looking killer! Good to know that there is someone local who can maybe walk me through lacing a rim when I'm ready to try it.

not just VAB guys. i almost grabbed it :wink:

I was holding out for a tank and cast alum. headers but it didn't pan out.
Kenny

Still looks good with what you have already.

Glad to see the electrical tape idea as I might have a go at lacing a rim one of these days.
In my case it will be wheelchair and everything I have seen says they are different so the tape idea looks very useful.

Thanks Dave I'm glad you like heavy metal. It rides great, took it for a 5 mile ride last night.
Kenny

Latest posts

Back