Heavy Duty Springer forks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a bigger guy around 275# i am looking into puting springer forks on my bike and i am wondering if there is a fork made out there that can support that. Thanks Duane

Lots of heavier people complain about springers easily bottoming out and some people talk about putting a stiffer spring on them. I've been riding around for over a year with a couple springs in my Jeep that might fit the bill for bigger riders, but could limit travel. I took apart a basketball goal that someone was throwing away, it had the "break away" rim that had 2 springs, they are super stiff, but I could see them possibly fitting inside a beehive spring or others. Just an idea.

Four of the freeze plugs from a gm motor and a set of porch swing springs from Lowe's made this
Monarch springer work really good. No bottoming out with it.
DSCF0002-5.jpg

For Schwinn springers, they made a spring called a "Whizzer spring" for the motorized bikes. I got one from Memory Lane by mistake. Way heavier than normal. I'm 180 lbs. and my springer barely has any action at all. Gary

what would be the headset size on a 1964 schwinn typhoon? i am a little green when it comes to these bikes, being i havent worked on one or really mess with a bike since the late 80s.

Thanks
Peatbog said:
I used this fork:

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2012/Parts/Cruiser/Abraham-Linkage-Fork.aspx

FELT%20ABRAHAM%20LINKAGE%20CRUISER%20FORK_SMALL.jpg

When I obtained it, I weighed 250 pounds (about 230 now) and it worked fine. The thing costs $150 though. It used to be much cheaper.

However, this is for 1-1/8" headsets, not the usual 1", unless something has changed since I bought mine.

1schwinn.jpg

Duane9531 said:
what would be the headset size on a 1964 schwinn typhoon? i am a little green when it comes to these bikes, being i havent worked on one or really mess with a bike since the late 80s.

Thanks

Your bike has a 1" head tube. I have used a 1 1/8" fork in vintage 1" head tubes. I just had to mix and match head sets and bearings to match the fork's cones.

Uncle Stretch said:
Four of the freeze plugs from a gm motor and a set of porch swing springs from Lowe's made this
DSCF0002-5.jpg
I had forgotten about this one...these springs and plugs could be easily used to fabricate a homemade springer too.
Thanks Uncle Stretch.

Those are really cool!
menzorro said:
Uncle Stretch said:
DSCF0002-5.jpg
I had forgotten about this one...these springs and plugs could be easily used to fabricate a homemade springer too.
Thanks Uncle Stretch.

Uncle Stretch said:
DSCF0002-5.jpg

Thats the perfect solution for big riders, nice! Its a clean tight set up!

yoothgeye said:
Lots of heavier people complain about springers easily bottoming out and some people talk about putting a stiffer spring on them. I've been riding around for over a year with a couple springs in my Jeep that might fit the bill for bigger riders, but could limit travel. I took apart a basketball goal that someone was throwing away, it had the "break away" rim that had 2 springs, they are super stiff, but I could see them possibly fitting inside a beehive spring or others. Just an idea.

i've done this on a few of mine. whatever i could find at the hardware store small enough to wind into the stock spring, but stiff enough to help.

bikes002-12.jpg

i think i showed a pic once before, but this is a black springer i got recently, so the small spring is easier to see.

I used to bottom out the Monark (non-repop) springer on my Fatbelly bike.

DSCF2150.jpg

Then I switched to a flipped Murray rat-trap style (had to go with a thinner tire :cry: ), this thing barely moves. Granted it's not the same 'motorbike' look as the Monark, but the additional rake actually improves the steering, for me anyway.

DSCF3372.jpg

P.S. I'm TOTALLY using Uncle Stretch's idea. Got the springs already, just need those freeze plugs!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Latest posts

Back