Heavy Duty Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got this bike from jerrykr a while back along with the black heavy duty rims. :D
I just got the 26x 2.35 Bontrager Solana's in the mail.
Figured I would start putting this one together today.
I am going to get it powdercoated what color's do you guys like :?: :idea:

The frame
100_1055.jpg

The wheels
100_1056.jpg

Together at last
100_1057.jpg

That is the heaviest frame I've ever come across, totally indestructible.

I think it will make a great Mt Tam type Klunker, especially with those strong wheels.

Just my .02, but lookin' really good so far.....color ... I dunno... :D

lol I've played with one of these things before - They used to air drop these things out of AC-130u Spooky's for suppressive fire... :lol: In reality Im still getting warmed up to Klunkers, but if I were to make one, this'd be the frame I'd use. But who knows, there's a lot you can do with the idea of a heavy cruiser. I myself LOVE serious, heavy, beastly, tankish things (I used to own a late 60's Plymouth, whats more tankish than that? lol) But I'd say if you had enough creativity theres a lot of potential in the field of serious looking bike that you could unleash with this frame. As for color, it all depends what look your going for, you could easily strip it down to bare steel and keep it looking mean. One suggestion I would make would be go down to your nearest Tractor Supply and buy some No. 41 Chain to swap out for your current bike chain. It's incredibly attractive in it's own way and one of the most serious chains (farmers dont play around) that money can buy at reasonably cheap prices (about 18-20 bucks for 16ft 'O'neverbreak). I always use this chain on principle. Either way I really like this thing, diggin' the wheels on it too! :D

Thanks for being kind guys, I know it's not classic or ratty but give it a min.
I'm in the process of stripping it to bare steel right now. :idea:
I am looking at some heavy duty chain for it too. I will check tractor supply tomorrow.

As soon as I find a stem I like I will replace it, this was the only one I had that would fit.
This is just the first of many incarnations of this bike. :shock:
I saw these wheels and frame a while back at my buddy jerrykr's place and had to have em, so we did some trading.
I think it's gonna be a rat rod, hot rod, beast first.

The Atlas Industrial is meant for 300 lb + guys to ride around in industrial situations.
The seat on 'em is usually one of those ultra wide exercise bike types to accommodate the "wide track" rider. :D

Look thru the original Klunker Gallery here for some styling ideas.

This one is going to be good :!:

Got the paint stripped enough for now and got my Brooks B135 in the mail so I had to try it out. :mrgreen:
I think its looking much better, except now i'm thinking about ratting it out with some patina parts and tires that I have had for a while now.
Went to the farm supply store and they were all out of no 41 chain. :(
100_1098.jpg

nwt76 said:
Got the paint stripped enough for now and got my Brooks B135 in the mail so I had to try it out. :mrgreen:
I think its looking much better, except now i'm thinking about ratting it out with some patina parts and tires that I have had for a while now.
Went to the farm supply store and they were all out of no 41 chain. :(
100_1098.jpg

I was JUST getting ready to ask how this was going lol. I like that brooks a lot! Though it looks like its almost set forward a touch or something, is it weird to ride? looks good bare, very saddening about the no 41 chain btw, itll prolly come in stock later. I like it, keep it up!

Rides awesome, seat needs to be set back for sure the lucky 7 i've got won't
fit this sucker gonna have to make one when I get a post that actually fits. :?
I've got this one rigged up for now. :oops:

nwt76 said:
Rides awesome, seat needs to be set back for sure the lucky 7 i've got won't
fit this sucker gonna have to make one when I get a post that actually fits. :?
I've got this one rigged up for now. :oops:

You know I almost feel like bringing this one up is near taboo here because no one here does it... >.> but Ive always loved cutting and welding seat posts over making angled posts, but I figured I'd bring it up because its a very solid way to make your posts which fits the aspect of this bike, also I like it because you can put the most and seat EXACTLY where it looks the best. Pretty fun to do as well

I did it to the ever-changing testbed gasbike of mine, remember everchanging testbed so disregard the cheap krylon to keep of the rust and the peanut tank, imagine lower handlebars a big square excelsior type tank that extends down to the framerails in the middle of the frame and it looks better (this is one my favorite seat posts Ive done, I like the asymmetric bracing on it :mrgreen:)
july4th2011005.jpg

But yeah, more work, but you can have a sturdier post and have it look exactly the way you want it (also just hate bent posts for some reason :x) but that's just my two cents

Latest posts

Back