Headset size

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to get a headset for my mid 50's? rollfast stepthrough.I ordered a 1"and it is sloppy loose. So I ordered 1 1/8 and it's a hair to big what size do I need?

This is what I bought
20190714_142414.jpg
20190714_142403.jpg

I don't know that specific bike, but as above, you'll have to do some research to find what matches the headtube ID. You might want to start with "American standard" headsets as that's the right era and isn't a Schwinn with its proprietary weirdness. A more modern 1" headset has a smaller diameter headtube. When I converted a Spaceliner to 1-1/8 threadless, I had to spend a good amount of time looking for what would fit. Should be easier to find something that fits an OEM headtube and stem.

Thanks
It's going to be a 1" headset, you just need the right one. The best thing you can do is measure the ID of the frame.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html
I don't know that specific bike, but as above, you'll have to do some research to find what matches the headtube ID. You might want to start with "American standard" headsets as that's the right era and isn't a Schwinn with its proprietary weirdness. A more modern 1" headset has a smaller diameter headtube. When I converted a Spaceliner to 1-1/8 threadless, I had to spend a good amount of time looking for what would fit. Should be easier to find something that fits an OEM headtube and stem.
Thanks I really should get me something to measure metric with.

On my 42 Hawthorne (same as a Rollfast), my buildoff bike, I had the same problem. I bought a couple different sets that didn't work. I just used the original cups and used the bearings that fit well enough.

DSCI0003.JPG

Latest posts

Back