HEADBANGER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Soft Tail Chopper

LukeTheJoker said:
GuitarlCarl said:
Every big box store I go in I look at the bikes (and who doesn't...) and visually measure up what frame bits will work for me...
Guilty as charged... :roll:

Luke.

Me too but our Walmart doesn't carry anything cool :cry: Just the Genesis 32" Huffy Panama Jacks, few Schwinns which are the same as the Huffys since they went overseas, and a few mountain and road bikes. No Mongoose Beasts or anything that screams cool. I had to order my Beast online and have it shipped in. I must say it was worth the wait!

1376567_674368932581494_1681474025_n.jpg

Just mocked up the handlebars with my forks. THANKS Crash!
Now ditch the seat...cut the frame, weld in a pivot a shock mount, then splice in the Hyper Havoc I haven't even picked up yet....
40 days left, plenty of time :shock: I did ride it around the block tho, hehe no brakes...

outskirtscustoms said:
... but our Walmart doesn't carry anything cool :cry: Just the Genesis 32" Huffy Panama Jacks, few Schwinns which are the same as the Huffys since they went overseas, and a few mountain and road bikes. No Mongoose Beasts or anything that screams cool. I had to order my Beast online and have it shipped in. I must say it was worth the wait!

Neither does ours, but the Hyper Havoc is an aluminum MTB. Just the kind of thing to mod into a muscle bike, especially for a new guy like me. All the leftover bits can be used on my yet to be, clunker. So I look for the parts I can use and check out how they are assembled, mounted, or fabricated and so on, and then figure out how I could or would use them.

CRASH said:
I'm glad you got them out of all the wrapping! :lol:

YAH! They were definitely wrapped. :shock:
The mail carrier left them draped over the top of my big o' mailbox,
soon as I saw it I knew what they were!

Re: Soft Tail Chopper Mockup

got the donor today... didn't even ride it. Chop Chop.

I cut the OCC... and the two halves just jumped together!

Gonna have to fab some brackets for the shock. I'm thinkin' a couple triangles...

Stance ain't too bad, she's up on her dropstand too. May slide the pivot point back a couple more inches. It sure is nice workin' on a black bike, paint is the last thing on my mind.

Re: Soft Tail Chopper Mocked up!

Maybe a hint at the name of the bike, any ideas?
cartoon20rock20onpv2.gif

You are naming it after Luciano Pavarotti's cartoon death metal band? DANG IT! I shoulda called DIBS! :lol:

Diabolical_Dork said:
You are naming it after Luciano Pavarotti's cartoon death metal band? DANG IT! I shoulda called DIBS! :lol:

Both wrong but awesome!

Got a little done yesterday, seat is in the works, more on that later... Suicide front brake is an old shimano disc caliper, used a big disc which I don't have... need to mod the forks to even clear a disc. (think I'm using a sawblade) Cleaned up the rough cuts on the OCC frame... ready to weld on the pivot. Need a 27.2 layback post...

Does he do tube style too? 27.2c as solid bar would be redic...

Be careful not to put the pivot point too far back as the crank will go DOWN with suspension travel and you don't want to do an ankle breaking pole vault.

outskirtscustoms said:
Be careful not to put the pivot point too far back as the crank will go DOWN with suspension travel and you don't want to do an ankle breaking pole vault.
No doubt. I've been looking at that... my pivot will be behind the crank some... BUT, It's a Muscle bike not a BMX, (hehe a flat lander :lol: )
So if I stretch the rear shock mount, that should kick the angle of my forks steeper a bit, effectively lifting my BB some too,
that plus a larger diameter rim on the front... dial up a bit of stiffness on me shock and I should be good.
Mostly why I haven't welded the pivot mounts yet, because I don't have the rear shock mount fabbed.... I still have some wiggle room.

99% Done with my seat. While dissecting a Schwinn exerciser bike I took a good look at the seat, a small springer with a thick vinyl cover. So, off with the cover and padding and hmm.... not too bad. Well I painted it white, then red, then black. Then with a little elbow grease and a green scruffy pad I weathered it out. Almost looks like worn leather, the red shows thru better in person too...

Latest posts

Back