Hawthorne Re-do...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here is a Ward Hawthorne Flyer that is getting a makeover.
This bike was built awhile ago and given to a good friend for some work he did for me. The only requirement for ownership was for him was to take care of it. Long story short, after two yrs. of riding it, he finally agreed to bring it to me for some recommended tlc. It was grimy, dirty and abused-looking. It wasn't happy and I wasn't either. He said he took it to a local bike shop for maintenance, and they completely messed it up. The Sturmey SC3 was 7 turns out on the drive side cone, rust was in the ratchet mechanism as if someone left it in the sprinklers or threw it in a pool and it had damaged parts/pawls inside. The fork was cross-threaded and it was generally in need of serious attention once again. I gave him another bike of less value in the meantime.
IMG_2654_zps6f2679fd.jpg

So, I repossessed it, replacing it with a cheap-parts beater. He was happy.
So now I want to re-purpose it to RAT-a-tat-tat while looking for a replacement original-era fork. :39: After 1st building this fast rat, I had a chance to ride it a bit, and it rides fast. I have so far removed the fake-off purple "OG" paint after the red started showing underneath. So I ended up wet sanding it off with a combo of 180-1st cut, then 380 grit final down to the OG Red paint and what was left of it. I started sanding with linseed oil, but it obscured the red paint underneath while doing so, and I couldn't see clearly when I got down to it, so I switched to clean water. Here is where I am at with it. If anyone wants to help find out what year it is, feel free, I don't know.
IMG_3759_zpss6ikf1iv.jpg
IMG_3764_zpsfd4c4obu.jpg

IMG_3752_zpsopg3ydss.jpg

IMG_3742_zpsqoornah4.jpg

IMG_3738_zps1ygdkilx.jpg

IMG_3744_zpsmhoxrgpo.jpg

IMG_3749_zpslricz0zg.jpg

IMG_3754_zpsaqlgk13k.jpg

IMG_3757_zpspl1fbyo3.jpg

IMG_3762_zpsv0un3m99.jpg

IMG_3750_zpszuzc921g.jpg

IMG_3766_zps1oxzerji.jpg

IMG_3765_zps6pn5lbwk.jpg

Last edited:
Just happy to have rescued it. Thanks!
You dida great job getting the og paint back. I just had to do that to a set of drop center wheels that had silver paint on em. Took me so long to take it off but now the original paint to the rims are back and look awesome so I can only guess how time consuming the frame was. I've got a couple prewar saddles for sale take a look you might find something you can use. I have a 34 Hawthorne but I had to repaint it. I really like your frame. Great job again!!!!

Thank you Reb! It is a cool frame. No structural problems or damage. As you know, it takes patience, determination and time to get the paint back, but also very worth it. I've been using Howards Feed'n Wax on the paint after the 380/400 grit final sand. It's a beeswax and natural oils-based furniture wood feeder that really brings the shine out. I added another few pics where you can see it go from the final sand(dull) to the shiny, deep red. Happy to share it with everyone.
I'll check out your long-spring saddles...I do need another.

Wow, the Howards really brings out the shine! I use it on my old Victrola's, never thought about using it on bikes ....does it dry on the steel bike frame?

Howards doesn't really "dry" as you know, and is meant for old furniture finishes because of it's non-solvent sealing/feeding qualities. I discovered that it is great for collected cycles that sit around and for those that get ridden. It keeps the paint and metal surfaces sealed from moisture.(corrosion) I lay it on thick with a paper towel, then wipe it off with a clean rag when I clean my bikes. It also "seals" nooks and crannies that water and humidity can get into..:thumbsup:

Bump on this build....Need to get this cool old bike back on the road. I found that the fork is un-fixable (cross threaded) and not able to run a fatter tire, and so while looking for an og replacement, my plan was to re-build it as a "Mutt"(BB808 style) with a three-speed coaster and disc brake front end. I am envisioning running a 26" carbon fork with post-mount disk brake tabs, (incorporating the original truss rods and support bracket), carbon riser bars 720mm wide, a thread-less headset, silver NOS SR 170mm road crankset, some XTR clipless mtb pedals and a Sampson Stratics Ti square-taper BB. It will also sport a new wheelset as the ones shown below were re-used on another bike. I am going to run a low-mile Sachs 515 in back with a new 9mm QR Velocity disc hub up front. Wheels will be 26", and built up using high-performance rims/spokes with a tubeless setup. That is the plan Stan. I want to make it as fast & light as I reasonably can with upgraded braking power. Still making sure I get my idea "right" before sourcing the parts.
IMG_1496_zps743c12e3.jpg~original

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back