Has anyone tried Snowbiking?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rented one of these at Keystone ski resort in Colorado last week and it was an absolute blast. I'll never go back to skis again. The cool thing about Keystone is that they let you bring home-built ski bikes on their slopes as well. I may do a build. On skis, I never did anything more than a blue run. On the snowbike, however, I was able to do black runs and even a wooded trail. If you ever get the chance to try it, I definitely recommend it!

http://www.snowbike.us/e-galerie.htm

Never tried one but wouldn't mind for a diversion. Nothing can take me away from skiing. Just got back from a great day with fresh snow.

I saw one at the ski swap this year, reminded me of a ski-bob from the seventies. I rode a ski-bob a few times back in the day, but as Cman said it won't take the place of skiing or boarding for me. Still looks like another great way to slide :mrgreen:

Never tried that...

But I built this back in '93 and just took it on hills throughout the neighborhood:

1238286138_bike.jpg

1238286242_bike_001.jpg

1238286280_bike_002.jpg

I got to fullfill a life long, well since '86 anyway, dream 2 years ago when we went to Banff. They had skibikes there, and my wife just laughed and said "You're gonna do that, aren't you?" Ever since I saw that little kid riding one in the movie Better Off Dead I've wanted to do that. Man, they are a blast!
I was doing 360s into snow banks in about 10 minutes...too friggin' cool.

"I want my 2 dollars!" :D

i had a snow bike back in 1980. it was purchased for my older cousin so i imagen its from the 70's.

i've been looking for info on the bike for years with no results. maybe you guys could be of some help pointing me in the correct dirrection.

the bike was bright yellow with a black brick like seat (black leather 1.5' x6"x4") and black racing stripes. my aunt had 2 identical bikes and i'm sure they were factory produced. they looked like a bike, but nothing like a standard frame.
the frame was made from alum. flat stock and c channel (approx 3" wide) the frame that supports the seat circled around became the rear ski (pointing up at the back to allow you to lean back and do catwalks)
came with a pair of those little red strap on ski's. i'd love to make one for my nepthew. if anybody has pic's/info of these old ski bikes, i'd appreciate the help.

thx

little canadian ski bike history for ya.
http://www.skibikes.ca/history/skibike_ ... 970s.shtml

I have helped build parts for several ski bikes. There is a local amputee who is a real advocate of ski bikes for people who have lost legs. Look like a lot of fun, he has tried to drag me up several times but I have just been to busy...

Latest posts

Back