Has anyone given any thought to........

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Building a copy of one of the Elgin Blackhawk bikes

blackhawk.jpg.w560h420.jpg

26-columbia-1937-3-star-mens-cruiser-bike_2384326.jpg

starting with one of these?

I am tempted to just buy one for the frame and tank, then throw everything else into my parts pile!!

Last edited:
I have been surprised that no one has played around with one of those here yet.

Been thinking of making this:
Gold-bullion-vault.jpg

By using some of this:
61BzZbZhSqL._SL1500_.jpg

On one of these:
o1rLH_1YH6wysNmAJu7h.png

Should be pretty awesome, right? :rockout::113::rockout:

Well, that is a very accurate comparison!:21:, but, I am still tempted!

I saw them at WalMart for $179. Before you walk out of the door with it I would inspect it closely. This one was jammed into the rack they use and the front fender was noticeably bent. If you see something wrong with it like that and it don't bother you that it's messed up then perhaps you could get a discount for it.
20150709_110928.jpeg

20150709_110943.jpeg

20150709_111024.jpeg

Others have said to order it online, with in store pickup., still in box. Don't accept if damaged in the box. Eliminates the UPS travel issues,. Assemble at home. I too have been tempted to order one, if anything just to support the concept of a retro tank bike. Cast my vote for future retro runs. Parts is parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That is my issue, I don't think that I would ride it as it is. The decals look chincy and cheap, the truss rods are a joke, the chain guard is an uglier version of a Columbia chain guard that I never really liked originally. But, with a nice two-tone paint job on the frame and tank, and with a real truss rod fork, it could be a sharp bike.

Others have said to order it online, with in store pickup., still in box. Don't accept if damaged in the box. Eliminates the UPS travel issues,. Assemble at home. I too have been tempted to order one, if anything just to support the concept of a retro tank bike. Cast my vote for future retro runs. Parts is parts.

That is the safest bet with a WalMart bike. They don't charge shipping for in-store pick-up. We did this for one of the guys on the cycling team; i can only imagine how mussed up his trike would've been if a WallyWorld "mechanic" had assembled it.:emo::banana::crazy:

At least you'll be sure that the fork isn't on backwards!:cool2:

I think that wal-mart is showing them at a price reduction now. Looks like $156.xx getting close.

Another idea........take one down to bare metal and clear over it to make a bicycle version of this bike. Might need a sting ray fork....just thinkin'
600full-harley-davidson-and-the-marlboro-man-screenshot.jpeg

Completely agree with everyone on site to store delivery for large items from the WalMart website. We have used that option numerous times. Once on a stationary bike for my mother. The box arrived at our store completely undamaged. Then a few years ago I got one of those Huffy Regatta 3 speeds when they had slashed the price on them so low that it was not much more than the Shimano Nexus 3 hub and sifter/bell crank unit by themselves. Again I was fortunate that it arrived at our store undamaged.

Latest posts

Back