GUMBY RUMPUS***** Crossed the FINISH line!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GUMBY RUMPUS **Roughed in the tail light 06/22

Thanks Luke!
I've got more fine tuning and trimming to do on the light. Not to mention wiring it up. :wink: I'm real happy with it so far......

:mrgreen:

....Page 5!! :shock:

I have today off from work. Going to the extinguisher place to show her in person ( she couldn't open my pics in my 2 emails )

After I get back home , more tinkering ( a smidge more than a month left. a ton left to do, gotta keep on target! )

More parts due in the mail real soon ( I hope! :D ) .......With a bunch more to mock up , all pieces gotta be present .......

More updates later
Stay tuned.....

I dropped off the extinguisher this morning & left them my cell number to call when its empty.........

then I got to work some more on the tail light....

Triple Vice grip mock up.....

I scribbled a rough outline with pencil. To trim the basic shape of the existing pinstipe

After the trimming I drilled the holes and found the rustiest screws and nuts I could find in my junk drawer.
I wanted them to kindda look like they've been there since day 1 . :wink:

The next part I had to tackle ......

I am running a skip tooth chain ( I have an NOS chain coming in the mail but the post office mis-shipped it to the other end of the state in error )
Rather than re-lacing the rear wheel ( Heavy duty rim set I bought from Member: ind-chuckz ) with a skip tooth hub and drilling it out to fit the huge 14 gauge spokes.......

So rather than waste more time waiting for the mail I got to work......

Took about an hour. I keep going round and round taking a little off at a time. Then when I was happy with it I went back over it with
the hand file for a few rounds. I like how it came out 8)

I might trim the tail light a little more once I get it wired up and all ( Now it just unbolts so its not very difficult )

Ya like my pipe and jack stand workstand? :wink: .......

Still waiting for the extinguisher to get home ( otherwise it'd be in the shot :lol: )

It was EXTREEEMLY hot and muggy today :shock:

Still more goodies coming in the mail ( fingers crossed its soon! )

Stay tuned......

Re: GUMBY RUMPUS ******more updates 06/25

Props to you for doing all that work on such a HOT day! :shock:

The sprocket looks great! :D I like what you did with that tail light :wink:

Love it when people think outside the box :wink:
Great imagination,and wonderful to see old junk put back to use...

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Props to you for doing all that work on such a HOT day! :shock:

The sprocket looks great! :D I like what you did with that tail light :wink:

Thanks man!
Yeah, it was unbearably hot. I got a few hours in though :wink:
Plus, I helped my buddy work on a VW for a while too.
( I think I sweat my brains out :lol: )

LukeTheJoker said:
Love your work on that sprocket!

Luke.

THANKS!!
I certainly cant compete with the work YOU do 8)
( havin a BLAST tryin though :wink: )

Funkme said:
Love it when people think outside the box :wink:
Great imagination , and wonderful to see old junk put back to use...

Thanks!
I certainly do love repurposing junk :D

So, after I called it a day yesterday ( TOO MUGGY! ), Packed up my tools , brought the bike into the basement , took a shower ......
The mail came @ 6pm! .....
still no chain , but my killer pedals I bought on EBAY came in......
( I have to work today but I dragged the bike outside to share the pedals before work( I LOVE HOW CRAZY THEY ARE! :shock: )........

Rediculously cool !! No idea what they came on originally , but I sure know what they are going on from this point forward!

still waiting for the chain guard , chain , and extinguisher.....

Gotta work today anyways :|

junknutz1975 said:
LukeTheJoker said:

Luke.

THANKS!!
:lol: Almost guarantee that your bike will get more votes than mine! Vintage and practicality will win out every time! :wink:
Love those new pedals, totally awesome!

Luke.

Awesome pedals !!!! yes I used that well overused american word... :oops: :lol:

Those pedals look like they were made for Gumby Rumpus :D

Almost looks like an alien is in the middle :lol:

kim_dude said:
LOVE the port and starboard pedals!

Thanks Kim_dude 8)
They certainly are crazy lookin :wink:

LukeTheJoker said:
junknutz1975 said:
LukeTheJoker said:

Luke.

THANKS!!
:lol: Almost guarantee that your bike will get more votes than mine! Vintage and practicality will win out every time! :wink:
Love those new pedals, totally awesome!

Luke.

Thanks a bunch Luke!
It really means a lot to me that a BIG DOG thinks somethin that I'm doin is cool :mrgreen:

Funkme said:
Awesome pedals !!!! yes I used that well overused american word... :oops: :lol:

Thanks Funkme :lol:

I think its awesome that you think my awesome pedals are , well , awesome! :wink: :lol: :lol:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Those pedals look like they were made for Gumby Rumpus :D

Almost looks like an alien is in the middle :lol:

Thanks Schwinnray69 8)

I had NO IDEA what to use..... then I saw these on Ebay. I HAD TO HAVE THEM!! I got them in the mail from Rhode Island the very next day.

I agree they fit the bill perfectly ( for the look I was after )

My first reaction to them was an alien face too :shock:

Well, I got the phone call today about the extinguisher .........

It was there for 2 days , and after they did more research and phone calls etc. ( they even called and asked the environmental police about properly dealing with the Carbon Tetracloride inside )

They have come to the conclusion that it is WAY too deadly and too costly to dispose of it safely. So unfortunately I have to come up with another idea for a battery hidey-hole.....

So back to the drawing board for that aspect of the build. I am confident that I will come up with something ( I only got the call about 2 hours ago so I haven't had much time to think about it )

especially cuz I was at work when I received the call I haven't had much brainstorming time yet :wink:

Im home now..... Thinking cap is on! 8)

Stay tuned....

Re: GUMBY RUMPUS *****Thinking Cap Time.....

There's only one thing wrong with this bike! It's not one of Mine!! :wink:

Love the thought and the expression going into this. Really cool, keep it up! Want to see more.

If you put any fresh paint near this bike, this old dude will come and haunt ya!! 8)

Here is a little read on your extinguisher...I thought considering it was used once,in the past,Thought to do a bit of research...
Maybe with gloves and a mask,you could go to a remote location dig a hole,and let it rip...Better to b a empty bottle than a full one....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_tetrachloride
http://www.epa.gov/ttnatw01/hlthef/carbonte.html

I guess depends how badly u want it... :D
it seems that we prob have breathed it in at one time or another......
Also a lil bit of history as they stopped filling them with this product,in 1940,so its pre 40's....
I remembered when I opened mine,thr was a horrible smell,I just walked away and didnt breath it in....Rinsed it with hot soapy h2o+ soaked it,and emptied it in the driveway.... :shock:

Try contacting your city and see if they will accept it through their hazardous waste program. https://www.chicopeema.gov/page.php?id=210 A quick search shows that other states do accept it as a household hazardous waste. It has a very low exposure limit so and in order to save the extinguisher body you will probably have to transfer it to another container. If you decide to do it make sure you do it outside, away from other people, preferably on a windy day and have you back to the wind so the fumes blow away from you. The exposure issues are really based on chronic exposure to it, such as working at a dry cleaners that used it.

Junknutz,
I just noticed you are in Chicopee. You may be familiar with my brother, Shaggy on the KIX radio station.

oldfart36 said:
There's only one thing wrong with this bike! It's not one of Mine!! :wink:

Love the thought and the expression going into this. Really cool, keep it up! Want to see more.

If you put any fresh paint near this bike, this old dude will come and haunt ya!! 8)

:lol: :lol: Thanks! :wink:
That made my day !

( page 6 pic :D )

Latest posts

Back