"GULF SWING" Fat tire Swingbike build! As done as it is gunna be!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "GULF SWING" Fat tire Swingbike build! PROGRESS!!!

I would strongly recommend a tightly wrapped rubber bungee strap holding the rear triangle in the straight ahead position until you are comfortable riding the bike. If you leave it completely free the learning curve is going to be VERY steep. Once you are happy with all the adjustments and can ride it like a normal bike, then loosen up the swing some so you can start to do the fun stuff. Even the factory lock leaves a little play which at first feels really weird. The main problem I could see is as you pedal you will get unwanted swing with each downstroke and end up wobbling when you don't want to.

I will say I have yet to do a wheelie on mine, although I have done wheelies on my Sting Ray. Something about weighing an additional 60 lbs messes with the balance. I used to do wheelies on our dirt road for 300 feet or so on a Schwinn Suburban, my current Schwinn which is almost the same exact bike is not cooperating at all. :oops:

DJ Bill said:
I would strongly recommend a tightly wrapped rubber bungee strap holding the rear triangle in the straight ahead position until you are comfortable riding the bike. If you leave it completely free the learning curve is going to be VERY steep.
Actually I picked up the springs I plan to use today, so hopefully that will help... Also I have a few design ideas I want to try out regarding the lock to try and avoid the play. Hopefully they work...

Here are the springs and the chrome plated acorn nuts, washers etc, for the seat mount:

11068029845_24382d121a_z.jpg

Luke.

I think saw the original design had the tab and key in front of the rear fork (under the frame), but I think tabs behind the rear fork would be easier to access (below the seat) even a pin right thru the whole assembly would hold it static, either way, everything you've done so far is awesome, so no worries...

Carl.

I like your idea there Carl, might look into that. My pin idea is a spring loaded captivated bolt of sorts, (hard to explain) you push it in to lock the frames together but then can tighten it right down to stop all movement, not as quick and easy to use perhaps as the quarter turn originals but should be more stable, which will be important due to the added weight and leverage involved on this one.

Luke.

Oh yeah, stable is always good and at least as important as being able to swing freely, for the rest of us "stunt challenged" folks..... :lol:

Well, been working on the design of my lock pin set up, not getting very far... I have come up with two priorities for it, 1: No movement. 2: Ease of use while riding. Whatever design I come up with only satisfies one of those, not both.

Ideally I would like a small lever mounted forward on the top tube similar to a shifter that can be easily moved forward or back and operates a cable or lever back to the lock pin. I have worked out how to do that, but it will still have some movement in the mechanism, which is what I am really trying to avoid.

The other end of the scale is two plates and a bolt, it would require stopping and probably getting off the bike to use but would guarantee no movement.

The original swingbike style lock is probably somewhere in-between those two.

So, am the moment trying to find a happy medium and deciding if I am willing to live with some movement to get ease of use. :|

Luke.

I don't think quick lock and unlock while riding was a priority of the Swingbike design. I have to get off and unlock or lock mine, and I don't see someone doing it on the fly from the seat. To make the original pin easier to lock and unlock they had to leave the fit pretty sloppy, and you do get a degree or two of swing out of the locked bike. (My bike is rough but the play is mostly in the pin.)

The ability to tighten down with a bolt might be a good thing if you plan on riding any distance, perhaps something like a modern day seat adjuster lever could work.

Thanks for clarifying that Bill, I guess that makes the bolt option look even better. Would you mind explaining what you mean with the seat adjuster? Do you mean a seat post quick release? I can see that being nice to use, just have to work out how to do it...

Luke.

Sent you a hack drawing Luke. I think the effectiveness will be in the tolerances... :wink:

Yeah, A quick release. I knew it had a better name.. :lol: Did you see how my original lock works in my Swingbike thread?
DSCN2092_zpsb3438ca3.jpg
THis is released, it is recessed into the lower piece. Line up upper and lower, and it pushes into the upper piece. Turn it 1/4 turn and it locks, setting into a recess that keeps it from turning and releasing. It is spring loaded, and the additional motion the spring allows also lets it swing slightly.

Thanks for the drawing Carl, more to think about...
Yes, seen that pic Bill, actually saved it to my computer for reference, quite a smart idea they came up with but with the added size and weight of both the bike and rider, really think I need to reinvent it a bit to stop the play as much as possible. I may have come up with a way to make a quick release work, need to think more on it...

Luke.

Hey luke. I may have the beginnings of an idea to satisfy both ease and stability of locking the frame. (on the fly fast) I have wanted to build a disc brake kind of setup for the frame. I never got around to actually doing it. (brake caliper on the bottom side of the top frame and disc under bottom race on the triangle) so you can lock the frame in any position while riding by grabbing the brake lever and let it swing free at will with the release of a hand brake lever. I had wanted to this on the red bike in the youtube vid to jump spines at skateparks, but sold the bike and haven't spent much time at the parks since.

starting to look like a bike :)

starting to look like a bike :)
Sure is Scribble! Even more now with the seat on!

11129088023_0358dfc169_z.jpg

The rope is to stop the rear triangle swinging too much seeing as the springs are not on yet!

First ride videos are uploading now, will update soon...

I have to say after the first attempt I really thought it would never work and I must have messed up the geometry badly, but with the rope on I managed a bit further each time and loosened the rope a bit more and even started swinging around a bit.
Going to have to lower the gearing a bit, probably go to an 18 tooth freewheel instead of the 16 that is on there at the moment, but very happy with it otherwise, going to be loads of fun!

Luke.

Videos are up!

First marginally successful ride:

Getting better:

It sure is fun, just taking some time getting used to it. Going to fit the springs up soon, that should make it far easier!

Luke.

Way to go LUKE!! Raise your seat (or move it back) a bit too....I agree with the gear change, and yes, springs will make it far easier. Looks like a success ! On the Swingbike front, my housemate helped me move all my bikes out of the carport and to the back porch. He ended up moving the Swingbike. I could tell he was wandering what it was, especially when it started to swing as he pushed it... No comments yet..lol.

Latest posts

Back