Guessing 90’s?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
So I was sent a picture of this bike frame/fork, and asked to help identify it.
At first glance my thoughts were industrial bike, like a summit, huskey, heavy duti, etc. But the Canti tabs and euro bb have me stumped.
Based on the unicrown fork, and the cable guide for cantis, my guess is pre ‘96. Possibly late 80s.
This is the only picture I have. Working on gettin more, and working on acquiring it, because, why not.

9C764E73-2CF9-4295-8152-029CD91DFA09.png

Any guesses as to what it is? Any suggestions appreciated!

I'd guess some 90s mountain bike.
My thought too. The chain guard tab is throwing me off on that though. I’m hoping once I get my hands on it some measurements will help will things. Seatpost diameter will say a little bit on era, as well and rear drop out spacing.
It does look like there’s some sort of headbadge on it. Hoping for more on that.
Asking around some folks are sayin Schwinn. But it doesn’t line up

Was really hoping that you found a Kona UnpronounceableView attachment 109624
but the dropouts aren't burly enough
Me too! But no looptail or rear facing drops.

The closest I’ve found so far as far as the top tubes orientation, is the Laguna ‘California special’. Which are the later 80s Taiwan made Lagunas. But it’s definitely not that either.

It could be an early 1990s gas station bike, like they used to sell at Erickson's beginning around 1980, way before we had big box stores up here. The ones I remember had chrome frames, one piece cranks, 10 speeds and BMX brakes. Some had similar forks and frame. It looks like too much quality from what I remember though. These 1980 Erickson bikes were the first trail bikes anyone had seen here as our two bike shops only had urban and road bikes. They had no maker ID on them as far as I remember. The first ones looked something like a 1980 Huffy 10 speed that had been transplanted onto a 26 inch twin bar frame with 26 x 2 knobby tires and steel rims. Everyone wanted one as they were such a unique thing but the quality was so bad that we all knew it would disintegrate so all we all did is look. Now I wish I would have bought one. They didn't sell very well, mostly because of the cheap quality and they were moderately expensive.

Thanks for the callout, @Dizzle Problems , nothing like being put on the spot :doh:

However...shockingly...I'm pretty sure I know what it is :grin:.

It is a rare and mystical brand, very rarely seen by the eyes of man...it is...a Schwinn.

Yes, I'm serious...there was one on CL a few years ago that had me shaking my head trying to figure out what is was. Hadn't seen one before, haven't seen one since. It is probably a late '90s Cruiser Supreme, which NORMALLY looks a lot like a Schwinn Heavy Duti, but...here's the twist. The Cruiser Supreme was a Taiwan-built bike with three piece cranks, gears, and...drumroll please...AVAILABLE IN THREE SIZES!!! 18" (looks at lot like an HD as mentioned) AND I believe 20" and 22"...which look a bit awkward...like the one you listed :bigsmile:. The one I was lurking on (and would have bought if I could have made time to go do so (I consider Portland local, so 180 mile round trip)) was one step more strange, as it had some 'industrial' sounding name, that I can't remember what it was now, that I've never been able to find an ad or catalog reference to.

I think it is worth snagging as I think the 20"/22" versions are pretty rare-ish.

Thanks for the callout, @Dizzle Problems , nothing like being put on the spot :doh:

However...shockingly...I'm pretty sure I know what it is :grin:.

It is a rare and mystical brand, very rarely seen by the eyes of man...it is...a Schwinn.

Yes, I'm serious...there was one on CL a few years ago that had me shaking my head trying to figure out what is was. Hadn't seen one before, haven't seen one since. It is probably a late '90s Cruiser Supreme, which NORMALLY looks a lot like a Schwinn Heavy Duti, but...here's the twist. The Cruiser Supreme was a Taiwan-built bike with three piece cranks, gears, and...drumroll please...AVAILABLE IN THREE SIZES!!! 18" (looks at lot like an HD as mentioned) AND I believe 20" and 22"...which look a bit awkward...like the one you listed :bigsmile:. The one I was lurking on (and would have bought if I could have made time to go do so (I consider Portland local, so 180 mile round trip)) was one step more strange, as it had some 'industrial' sounding name, that I can't remember what it was now, that I've never been able to find an ad or catalog reference to.

I think it is worth snagging as I think the 20"/22" versions are pretty rare-ish.
Well i’ll Be!

The cruiser supreme in familiar with it the late 80s diamond frame cruiser. I had previously searched that too, but didn’t find pics quite like what that white one is. The multiple size situation makes sense though. Thanks man!
I’m supposed to pick it up today.
Learn something new everyday!

I meant the dropouts on the Schwinn... The standard flimsy backward semi vertical MTB/cruiser style as opposed to the big fat solid beefy rearward facing horizontal ones that Kona uses in the Humuhumunukunukuapua'apuabanaramalamadingdongaliciouswhycouldn'ttheycomeupwithashorternameforthisawesomebike

I meant the dropouts on the Schwinn... The standard flimsy backward semi vertical MTB/cruiser style as opposed to the big fat solid beefy rearward facing horizontal ones that Kona uses in the Humuhumunukunukuapua'apuabanaramalamadingdongaliciouswhycouldn'ttheycomeupwithashorternameforthisawesomebike
I want to know about the name of it. It is so long.

Latest posts

Back