GT zaskar reboot (formally Bmxie)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Started off with an old GT Zaskar, I had dreams of sugarplums and a boardtrack build but function certainly kicked fashion down for this bike.

Here's an in progress picture, while I am assembling the wheels.

Here's the only sticker compliments of the previous owner.

The bars are Azonic motocross pieces bought used for $15.00, I don't like bent bars! Even if it means running beastly heavy ones!

Here's a good shot showing off the fancy stuff, Campy hubs, Sinz BMX cranks with sealed BB, Shimano bmx pedals(old), and a nice old Profile 40 tooth sprocket.

I have to find a good rim squeezer yet, the p.o.s. that is on it is just for photo shots!!!! Ok it works but only marginally as the metal flexes so bad the brake cannot work! Huffy brake calipers ****!
Currently I am running a 40-16 gear but that may change, for windy days it seemed a bit high.
Running "Sunlite," 26x1.5 slicks that are Kenda Kwest tires with a Sunlite tag on them, Niagara cycle for under $30.00 for 2. Of course the GT Am'e grips are NOS off e-bay.

I never would have thought of using a Zaskar frame on a fixie. Nice!

Just a quick update: I have gotten rid of the Rock shock Jett fork.. Dangerous~ I had a bounce induced G-wheelie and ended up in the middle of the road, at least I didn't crash???? anyway no car hit me and I discovered frames need to be designed for shocks or things get weird, really weird fast!
I'll post pictures of the GT 3-D fork I used soon....

Figured that I had strayed far enough from my original conception, I had better update!

1396177211302_zps3bd524bf.jpg

700c wheels, Sturmey Archer 3 spd. C.b., mary bars, and a set of deore lx cranks.

1396177000128_zps2a337d75.jpg

1396177042964_zps1aadf248.jpg

This has been a rolling test bed for me, what geometry works with 700 wheels, what is safer, coaster or squeezers, and bar height/reach combinations.
My "go to," rider, this thing eats asphalt, I cut 20 minutes off 15 mile rides.

I just gotts to share "gt" tradition with you that know not;
TRIPLE TRIANGLE
TECHNOLOGY!
1398651541659_zps6bbb7e17.jpg

Yup, that is what it really is for, don't let anyone fool you!
Gary while out riding a clunker, tied his shirt around the frame, wedging it into the cantilever tubes. 20 years later I got my first triple triangle, Gary remembered!

This post will make me sad. It is done. It is fast. It is tough. It is FUN! :) :) :)
It is: Z-azz kar!

Here the geometry, and lengths are, just in case someone wants to build their own:
20140604_132554-1_zps8f2f3f9e.jpg

And sadly, my last picture that'll need to be posted:
20140604_131310_zps48e42110.jpg

Rides like a big dorky bmx, jumps great.

Latest posts

Back